Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Muscadines?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Muscadines?
« on: September 04, 2020, 08:25:53 am »
We recently discovered that one of the random vines in our back yard is actually a white muscadine vine.  It's not big enough to make enough juice for a pure muscadine wine.  Does anyone have any experience blending muscadines with other fermentables?  A melomel / pyment, perhaps?  Would a muscadine pale ale be any good? 🤔
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Muscadines?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:54:29 am »
I have not used muscadines specifically, but a while back I took a Gewurztraminer wine kit and split the must between a saison and a pyment. The pyment was good, but the saison was phenomenal - easily one of the top 3 beers I've ever brewed. I used Nelson Sauvin with Motueka at flameout, and that winy character and bright citrus went really well with the Gewurz (and I'd imagine they'd go just as well with muscadines). If I were using muscadines, I'd pick a dry-finishing beer style and Southern Hemisphere hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:34:27 pm »
What yeast did you use in the saison?
The Other Drew

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 07:53:31 am »
What yeast did you use in the saison?
I used 3711. It finishes tart and dry, similar to a dry white wine, so it was a perfect fit for what I was shooting for.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline IUTitan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:29:59 am »
We recently discovered that one of the random vines in our back yard is actually a white muscadine vine.  It's not big enough to make enough juice for a pure muscadine wine.  Does anyone have any experience blending muscadines with other fermentables?  A melomel / pyment, perhaps?  Would a muscadine pale ale be any good? 🤔

Did you end up using muscadines in a recipe?

I actually have a 3 gallon batch of saison bottle conditioning right now (loosely following the Birra Corina recipe on AHA) that I added 6 lbs of muscadines to in the secondary. I tasted one a week ago to see where the carbonation level was at and the muscadine flavor/aroma was fantastic. The saison esters may have been a bit overwhelmed with that amount of muscadines but it still came out better than expected. It also turned a beautiful light pink to ruby color. I used WL Belgian Saison II yeast so I don't know if using a different yeast would allow more of the belgian/saison qualities to come through. Either way, I strongly recommend trying muscadines in a recipe.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 03:16:31 pm »
Personally I'd go with a pyment.
I made one with plain white grape juice that turned out good so I'd bet one made with your grapes would be really good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:41:43 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 03:28:04 pm »
I brewed an awesome Belgian Tripel aged ion muscadines a few years back. Really turned out nice

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 06:29:05 pm »

I actually have a 3 gallon batch of saison bottle conditioning right now (loosely following the Birra Corina recipe on AHA) that I added 6 lbs of muscadines to in the secondary. I tasted one a week ago to see where the carbonation level was at and the muscadine flavor/aroma was fantastic. The saison esters may have been a bit overwhelmed with that amount of muscadines but it still came out better than expected. It also turned a beautiful light pink to ruby color. I used WL Belgian Saison II yeast so I don't know if using a different yeast would allow more of the belgian/saison qualities to come through. Either way, I strongly recommend trying muscadines in a recipe.

No, the season passed before I was ever able to gather enough at once to use. This year I'll have to freeze them as they ripen so that I can build up enough to use.

I like the idea of combining them with a Belgian-y yeast. What did you use for hops?

A pyment would be really interesting, too. But I don't know if my crop would be but enough to use them as more than just an accent.
The Other Drew

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:35:28 am »

No, the season passed before I was ever able to gather enough at once to use. This year I'll have to freeze them as they ripen so that I can build up enough to use.

I like the idea of combining them with a Belgian-y yeast. What did you use for hops?

A pyment would be really interesting, too. But I don't know if my crop would be but enough to use them as more than just an accent.
An easy way to make a pyment is to freeze and thaw the grapes and put them in a mesh bag in the fermenter. This method adds plenty of grape flavor with wild grapes. The freezing and thawing along with the fermentation does all the work and then you just have a bag of seeds and skins to compost.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 07:28:24 am »
I froze mine, cracked the partially defrosted muscadines in a freezer bag as much as I could with a meat mallet and just racked the beer onto them in a secondary. Muscadine skins are thick so puree wasn't an option.

Worked great!

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 12:02:08 pm »
Do you need to do anything else for sanitization? Or is the combination of freezing and alcohol enough?
The Other Drew

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 01:47:22 pm »
I have never sanitized fruit for beer or mead. The billions of yeast cells that I pitch take over and the wild yeast and bacteria in the fruit don’t stand a chance.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 03:43:30 pm »
Just wash it is all I've ever done. If you are concerned you can blanch it.