Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops!  (Read 1486 times)

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
Hops!
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:52:27 pm »
Part one: Does it really matter what kind of bitter hops are used? Aren't all of the flavors/aromas boiled off anyway?

Part two: How long do hops "last", stored in a freezer? I'm thinking they last a long time with regards to AA but how long until the flavor/aroma starts to fade?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hops!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:01:41 pm »
Part one: Does it really matter what kind of bitter hops are used? Aren't all of the flavors/aromas boiled off anyway?

Part two: How long do hops "last", stored in a freezer? I'm thinking they last a long time with regards to AA but how long until the flavor/aroma starts to fade?
I don't think it makes a huge difference in flavor, but I think you can certainly tell the difference between something like Chinook or CTZ as a bittering hop vs something like Magnum or a noble hop.

And the flavor actually lasts longer than the AA% when hops are stored frozen. Vacuum sealed and frozen hops retain their flavor for several years, but depending on their storage index they can lose a considerable amount of alpha acids over the same time frame.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:17:07 pm »
There’s a differences in the perception of the bitterness for early hop additions. Some hops are described as course or sharp while others are described as smooth or clean. I’ve heard some say certain hops leave a stinging or tingling sensation that others hops do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 06:12:05 am »

I don't think it makes a huge difference in flavor, but I think you can certainly tell the difference between something like Chinook or CTZ as a bittering hop vs something like Magnum or a noble hop.

And the flavor actually lasts longer than the AA% when hops are stored frozen. Vacuum sealed and frozen hops retain their flavor for several years, but depending on their storage index they can lose a considerable amount of alpha acids over the same time frame.

Good to know. My concern was I stocked up on hops last year. I have several ounces left in the freezer in re-sealable bags and I'm trying to determine if they are still good. It seems like I may want to account for some AA being lost.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 07:10:32 am »
From a commercial brewing standpoint we used, we were in the same boat.Buy a lot of hops and have some left over but run out of others. We used Magnum as a bittering for German and Belgian styles and CTZ for American styles. Sometimes we wo[uld run out of Magnum and end up using CTZ. While I'll say there definitely was a difference and it showed upon tasting panels the beer was still good. I probably wouldt't have used the CTZ on a Kolsch or Helles styles though.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:29:45 am »

Good to know. My concern was I stocked up on hops last year. I have several ounces left in the freezer in re-sealable bags and I'm trying to determine if they are still good. It seems like I may want to account for some AA being lost.
Plastic bags like Zip Lock aren't an oxygen barrier and won't keep as long as the foil, vacuum sealed bags that some hops come in when you buy them. And if yours aren't vacuum sealed, you have that going against you. You should smell them before you use them as aroma hops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:58 am »

Yes, it does make a difference. In the last year or so, there's been a lot of research into survivables in bittering hops. It's changed what has always been thought about bittering hops.  Here are a couple things to read...

http://thirdleapbrew.com/technical/yakima-chief-hops-survivables-chart/

http://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:57:58 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:42:23 am »
Wow, thanks for the references.

Now, first to understand this. And then how to use it to improve my beers.
Roger

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 12:10:19 pm »

Yes, it does make a difference. In the last year or so, there's been a lot of research into survivables in bittering hops. It's changed what has always been thought about bittering hops.  Here are a couple things to read...

http://thirdleapbrew.com/technical/yakima-chief-hops-survivables-chart/

http://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/
These links seem to be about whirlpool hops. I think (maybe incorrectly) the question was more about the initial boiling/bittering hops - probably the typical 60 minute hops.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:19:15 pm »
Scott Janish talks about this in his IPA book.  From cheaper 2: "The bittering hop used can impact the final flavor of beer, so don’t overlook this aspect when putting together a recipe."
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:27:05 pm »
As far as neutral bittering cultivars go,  I had really good success with Galena.  I used to use Galena exclusively as my kettle hop. It mostly added back of the mouth bitterness and then got out of the way. Magnum is a Galena-derived hop.   IMHO, That is why it is so popular as a bittering cultivar.  CTZ is anything but neutral.