Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen Yeast  (Read 2430 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Frozen Yeast
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 07:44:55 pm »
Off topic back at ya - Agree that fish you catch is better but frozen is almost always better than "fresh never frozen" fish that has travelled for days. I think that is what Denny is talking about. If I'm at the beach I better not be eating frozen fish!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 07:19:27 am »
Off topic back at ya - Agree that fish you catch is better but frozen is almost always better than "fresh never frozen" fish that has travelled for days. I think that is what Denny is talking about. If I'm at the beach I better not be eating frozen fish!
Exactly. Plus commercial fish is generally flash-frozen, which generally bypasses the problems of ice crystals tearing cell membranes that happens during a slower freeze.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 07:27:49 am »
Exactly. Plus commercial fish is generally flash-frozen, which generally bypasses the problems of ice crystals tearing cell membranes that happens during a slower freeze.

So, are we in agreement for the average brewer that fresh yeast is probably better than frozen yeast?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 07:46:00 am »

So, are we in agreement for the average brewer that fresh yeast is probably better than frozen yeast?
I think that liquid yeast which has never been frozen is likely to be as good, or better, than the same yeast that has been frozen (partially or completely).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 06:00:07 am »
I made a starter with the previous frozen yeast. No activity. It's toast. Thanks for the replies!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 06:40:48 am »
I made a starter with the previous frozen yeast. No activity. It's toast. Thanks for the replies!
That sux

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 03:26:07 pm »
Any cells that didn't survive the freezing would, upon thawing, spill their guts into the wort because their membranes were longer intact. This is called lysis, which you might recognize because it is part of the word autolysis. It might not be enough to worry about given that it's from a single White Labs tube. Did you happen to taste the starter, even though it was a dud?