Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Absent Minded Brewer  (Read 3607 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Absent Minded Brewer
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »
I learned I can never consider myself graduated to Master Brewer because of doing dumb things on occasion.

Yesterday for example . . . I brewed 11 gallons of a Pilsner Urquell clone. With my Therminator and well water I was able to get the wort down to 62 degrees. I placed the converted 1/2 barrel fermentor in the ferment chamber, right next to the 1/2 barrel fermentor that contained the Alaskan Smoked Porter clone I made last week to let it chill to 48 degrees for pitching. When the PU wort had chilled to 48, I got the bottle of O2 and SS stone ready to oxygenate and pitch.

Guess what . . I pulled the air lock on the Alaskan Smoked Porter and gave it a nice 20 sec blast of pure O2 before I realized what I had done.  >:(

There's know accounting for stupidity . . .   :-[

Just brew it...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Absent Minded Brewer
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:03:09 pm »
Oh no!  Well, consider it an experiment in oxidizing beer.  Since it's only been a week the yeast might absorb some of it, and even if not it's not a total loss.  And if it tastes awful, maybe you can find someone to help you "concentrate" it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
Ha!

Two things come to mind. Either I can proclaim, "I planned it that way . . ."  OR

I have 11 gallons of marinate!  :D
Just brew it...

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »
Only the upper echelon of brewers can taste these things we read about. It will be fine!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 06:16:14 pm »
Drink the porter young before the oxidation flavor develops too much.  Also keep in mind that the smoke just may hide any off flavor altogether.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

beveragebob

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:03:05 pm »
If there is any yeast reproduction going on they will absorb the 02 and if not the carbonation gassing out will push it out. RDWHAHB.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:58:56 am »
I had a similar experience yesterday.....I forgot to add bittering hops til 30 min. into the boil! I just added some more water to the kettle, tossed the hops in, and started the timer over at 60 min.  But it's not out fault, dhacker.  My astrologer tells me the moon was in Feces.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:01:58 am »
 :D :D
Just brew it...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
I almost had one yesterday. After I start the boil my HLT becomes my chemical pot (e.g. I mix PBW into the hot water and start running the cleaning cycle). So, yesterday, while dead sober, went and grabbed the PBW, scooped out a tablespoon and walked right to the boil kettle.

Fortunately, my brain intercepted the signals to the hand and locked it long enough for me to go: "hmmm... that's probably wrong"

ha!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:18 pm »
Add some bonus sugars to aid in the use of the oxygen?  So what if it turns out stronger than you had planned!  You weren't exactly going for a lawnmower beer, were you?
Founding member, California Street Brewery

beveragebob

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:29:04 pm »
"My astrologer tells me the moon was in Feces."

That's when one or both half moons slips into polluted water  :D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:39:18 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:07:11 pm »
My astrologer tells me the moon was in Feces.

That is a permanent situation with the Tubercle ;D :D :D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:44:09 am »
About a year and half ago during a Fecal Moon I threw my FWH into the mash tun of an English IPA...on top of the grain bed.  So I just added 3/4 the amount of FWH I had orig planned.  Then I forgot to add the flame-out hops.  So I decided to try making a hop tea (my first) using a French Press.  I boiled the hops for the tea and it made the beer very hazy so I gelatined it.  But the gelatin didn't really work very well.  So it just sat in my keezer for a long time (long enough to clear) until I finally just wanted it out of there so I bottled the rest from the keg.  My efficiency was way off so my OG was low and I originally calculated the IBU's using the AA value for my 'old bag' of Willamette...but I was using the 'new bag' of Willamette.  A comedy of errors all on one batch.

It won gold in last year's NHC...as an ESB. 8)  I still can't make that beer again.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:24 am »
My thinking the yeast slurry was leftover bean soup gots to be my funniest. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis