Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drawbacks from kegging 2.5gal instead of 5gal?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
Drawbacks from kegging 2.5gal instead of 5gal?
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:16:17 pm »
Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks or special techniques to consider if only force carbonating 2.5 gals of beer in a 5gal Corny?

Thanks,

Jay

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Drawbacks from kegging 2.5gal instead of 5gal?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:27:20 pm »
It'll be fine, just make extra sure to purge the keg so there's no air in it.  I'd suggest filling it with starsan, closing it up, then pushing the starsan out with CO2.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:11:44 pm »
The biggest drawback is running out of beer twice as fast.

Purging like Tom says is a great way to both purge and sanitize a keg.  I keep a keg of Star San around all the time.  When I get ready to keg a batch, I simply push the sanitizer out of the star san keg and use that keg for my beer.  Having the sanitizer kegged is also incredibly handy around the brewery.  I keep a picnic tap on it and dispense a little whenever I need it instead of having to mix up a little more every time.

Wayne
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:13:30 pm by wfaris »
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »

Wayne
yes, that is the bad part. and you will need to brew twice as often, that takes twice the time. the good part is that your beer should carbonaite faster with more co2 to beer ratio. why not just brew more beer less often?

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:39:22 pm »

Wayne
yes, that is the bad part. and you will need to brew twice as often, that takes twice the time. the good part is that your beer should carbonaite faster with more co2 to beer ratio. why not just brew more beer less often?

Thanks all,

I was trying to keg on 2.5gal because I was going to spilt the batch and experiment with it a bit by trying a different type of yeast/fetmentation temps. I also may want to just bottle condition some of it instead of kegging it. I just didn't know if there would be any issues since I'm new to kegging.

Thanks again