Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager with Golden Promise Base?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
Lager with Golden Promise Base?
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:55:50 pm »
Anyone brewed a Golden Promise lager? I’ll be moving a couple traditional lagers soon freeing up space and wlp833 & 34/70 yeast for repitching.

I’m thinking 90%+ golden promise with a touch of biscuit and wheat. Maybe my hood-willamette or palisade hops. Thoughts, experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lager with Golden Promise Base?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:35:02 pm »
Anyone brewed a Golden Promise lager? I’ll be moving a couple traditional lagers soon freeing up space and wlp833 & 34/70 yeast for repitching.

I’m thinking 90%+ golden promise with a touch of biscuit and wheat. Maybe my hood-willamette or palisade hops. Thoughts, experience?

Sounds yummy to me. Why not 100% gp?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:18:11 pm »

Probably add 4% biscuit to emphasize biscuit/toast character and about the same for unsalted wheat to aid dextrin/head formation.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:33:01 am »
I never have, but I think a lager is an ideal showcase to let malt flavor shine through. This sounds like it will make for a really tasty brew. Actually, this has me thinking that a Helles/Pilsner/Maibock is probably the ideal type of recipe to really check out the flavor of a base malt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 12:50:01 pm »
I never have, but I think a lager is an ideal showcase to let malt flavor shine through. This sounds like it will make for a really tasty brew. Actually, this has me thinking that a Helles/Pilsner/Maibock is probably the ideal type of recipe to really check out the flavor of a base malt.

People often think of GP as being more like maris otter but it’s probably closer to 2-row than maris otter. I think it’ll make a great Helles. I’m gonna make this beer 4-4.5% abv and mildly hopped to share at work with the light lager crowd.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:21:16 pm »

People often think of GP as being more like maris otter but it’s probably closer to 2-row than maris otter. I think it’ll make a great Helles. I’m gonna make this beer 4-4.5% abv and mildly hopped to share at work with the light lager crowd.

You're confusing malt varieties with kilning.  At least you're confusing me!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 01:26:08 pm »

Yeah, I think most UK varietal malts get lumped in together as the same type of malt by a lot of brewers, but the GP (TF and Simpsons) I've used leans closer to a 2-row pale malt in flavor, than a Pale Ale malt.

I follow where you're going, but to Denny's point, the flavor differences that I think you're picking up on are a lot more influenced by kilning level than grain varietal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:30:37 pm by erockrph »
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 02:43:36 pm »

[/quote]

[/quote]
You’re not wrong Denny! I am a confusing guy talking about a product labeled and malted differently by maltsters then marked differently by homebrew shops.

What I mean is Golden Promise malt, Thomas Faucet sells it as pale ale malt while Simpsons sells it simply as GP malt. I’m talking about 2-row that Briess sells as brewers malt or Rahr  sells as Standard 2-Row, not the 2-row pale ale malt sold by many maltsters.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Lager with Golden Promise Base?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 03:04:14 pm »
Many many brewers use the same base malt across their entire portfolio. The same base malt in their Pils, Belgium Biers, Am Blonde, Cream Ale, Pale Ale, Bitter, Amber, Brown, Porter, Stout, etc.

BTW, many use the same yeast across the portfolio, as well.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 04:49:26 pm »

Probably add 4% biscuit to emphasize biscuit/toast character and about the same for unsalted wheat to aid dextrin/head formation.

yup, you can always butter and salt it afterward. :D

lol, yeah try it. i made a bunch of overly full, overly flavoured beers which sadly didn't turn out perfectly.

all i had was these big ass, heavy heavy beers to drink at home and i have to buy pale lagers to drink in between them.

now i'm swinging back the other way, beers with no crystal or anything. sigh, maybe it'll end up the other extreme, but im still sort of getting back into my brewing groove after several years off and all new equipment.

try a 100% golden promise smash imho.