Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 48-hour 35 degree Dry Hopping  (Read 2902 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
48-hour 35 degree Dry Hopping
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:36:48 pm »
I tried this technique a while back, but did it wrong (5 days instead of 2, IIRC). I just tried it again in an IPA with 5 oz of dry hops. This time I made sure I did it right -- got the beer to 35F and waited a whole 2 days after, to make sure the temp was stable (and make sure I was kegging on a day that I had few other obligations). The hops did end up spending approximately 51 hours in the fermenter, which seems all right. The yeast I used was US-05, FWIW. It was a somewhat straightforward recipe in most regards (75.5% 2-row, 21% domestic "craft" triticale malt, and 3.5% CaraHell). I used a FWH-60-10-170F whirlpool recipe with about 65 IBUs and the hops used were CTZ (60 min only) Cascade, Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin. I used 4 oz of hops at whirlpool and added 5 oz of dry hops after fermentation was completed and the beer was at 35F for 2 days.

The result: the least dry hop aroma I have ever gotten from more than 1 oz of dry hops. It looked like the hops (all pellets) might not have had a lot of contact with the wort. My standard procedure is 5-14 days of dry hopping at around 68F, then I cold crash to 30F for 2 days before kegging. I know some people have had great results from this process, but I'm 0-2 and I think I did it "right" the second time. I ended up with an IPA that is a little reminiscent of IPAs in the late 2000s. The triticale did not appear to have much impact other than making the beer a bit less clear than I am used to.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
Re: 48-hour 35 degree Dry Hopping
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:59:39 pm »
I'm assuming you wrapped the hops or had them in containers? You'll want to use several smaller doses. I say do what works best for you but I've switched to the cold method like many others... And I throw the hops in loose. I thought about getting those little metal containers.. on my latest beer, it's sitting around 33... Hopefully it's doesn't have a negating effect.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 09:47:22 pm »
I tried this technique a while back, but did it wrong (5 days instead of 2, IIRC). I just tried it again in an IPA with 5 oz of dry hops. This time I made sure I did it right -- got the beer to 35F and waited a whole 2 days after, to make sure the temp was stable (and make sure I was kegging on a day that I had few other obligations). The hops did end up spending approximately 51 hours in the fermenter, which seems all right. The yeast I used was US-05, FWIW. It was a somewhat straightforward recipe in most regards (75.5% 2-row, 21% domestic "craft" triticale malt, and 3.5% CaraHell). I used a FWH-60-10-170F whirlpool recipe with about 65 IBUs and the hops used were CTZ (60 min only) Cascade, Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin. I used 4 oz of hops at whirlpool and added 5 oz of dry hops after fermentation was completed and the beer was at 35F for 2 days.

The result: the least dry hop aroma I have ever gotten from more than 1 oz of dry hops. It looked like the hops (all pellets) might not have had a lot of contact with the wort. My standard procedure is 5-14 days of dry hopping at around 68F, then I cold crash to 30F for 2 days before kegging. I know some people have had great results from this process, but I'm 0-2 and I think I did it "right" the second time. I ended up with an IPA that is a little reminiscent of IPAs in the late 2000s. The triticale did not appear to have much impact other than making the beer a bit less clear than I am used to.

thanks for the feedback, yup i have heard members whose opinions i respect here recommend ~34F dry hopping for short times.

i'll likely stick with 5 days at room temp.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 08:29:10 am »
I'm assuming you wrapped the hops or had them in containers? You'll want to use several smaller doses. I say do what works best for you but I've switched to the cold method like many others... And I throw the hops in loose. I thought about getting those little metal containers.. on my latest beer, it's sitting around 33... Hopefully it's doesn't have a negating effect.

Allen, could you detail somewhat further what you mean by "wrapped the hops" and whether you are or are not recommending some version of this, and the what/why of "several smaller doses? I've been reading about this cold/short dry hopping here on the forum and would like to try it. My thought was to put pellets in a hops bag as I would for boiling and suspend them from the keg lid. Does this sound reasonable? I'm assuming they would dissolve adequately to allow good contact of hops material with beer, but perhaps not. Thanks!
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 08:40:18 am »
Yeah, I did write that weird..

What I meant was a hop bag, like you mentioned. What I see people do is put 4+ ounces in one bag/cheesecloth/whatever. Break it into several smaller doses. Like 2oz each and that should let you get full contact instead of having the dry bits or lack of contact you mentioned.

Hanging it from within the lid if they are loose enough might be good enough. I'm sure you've seen the metal containers I mentioned. They can hold 4oz of hops or so but from what I've seen online, it sounds like if you pack them full, they could be dry clumps in the middle so they recommend smaller doses in more packages as well.

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 09:31:38 am »

What I meant was a hop bag, like you mentioned. What I see people do is put 4+ ounces in one bag/cheesecloth/whatever. Break it into several smaller doses. Like 2oz each and that should let you get full contact instead of having the dry bits or lack of contact you mentioned.

Hanging it from within the lid if they are loose enough might be good enough. I'm sure you've seen the metal containers I mentioned. They can hold 4oz of hops or so but from what I've seen online, it sounds like if you pack them full, they could be dry clumps in the middle so they recommend smaller doses in more packages as well.

I'm wrapping up The New IPA in preparation for an interview with Scott Janish, and he addresses this as well.  The science he cites is clear that particle size/surface area exposure and suspension time are causal variables for hop oil/flavor extraction. As I use a hop basket for hot side additions and a cylinder like you're describing for dry hopping,  I'm going to retool my process. Any suggestions welcome!

To the OP, episodes 90/91 of The Brew Files (Experimental Homebrewing) are relevant and excellent.  If anyone wants to join for the author interview,  it's January 21 on Brewers Book Club. It would be a great chance to discuss this issue!
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 10:02:47 am »

The time I tried this procedure I was using 2 ounces of pellets in one of those mesh cylinders. I definitely didn't get proper dispersion/extraction, as the contents of the tube were still pretty thick after 2 days. I have since added floating dip tubes to my fermentation kegs. The next time I try this I will throw the pellets in nekkid, shake the fermenter to disperse the hop particles after a couple of hours, then transfer the clear beer off of the top a day or so later. If I can really get the same (or better) dry hop character with less tannin/vegetal extraction, then this would be a huge boon to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:01:35 pm »
FWIW, I always dry hop with loose pellets.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 12:24:11 pm »
I got a hop rocket for christmas, and Im considering rigging it to use as a hop torpedo when I transfer from fermenter to keg. Thinking of packing it with hops, doing a long ans slow purge with co2 and then giving it a go

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »
FWIW, I always dry hop with loose pellets.

+1. Much more effective imo especially if you’re cold crashing anyway.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:22:20 pm »

Thanks for clarifying! Much appreciated. Next IPA I make will get a trial run of this treatment.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 02:27:13 pm »
I got a hop rocket for christmas, and Im considering rigging it to use as a hop torpedo when I transfer from fermenter to keg. Thinking of packing it with hops, doing a long ans slow purge with co2 and then giving it a go

I've done that with whole hops, it works. I think I went back and forth between the 2 kegs 4 times.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:30:18 pm »

I've done that with whole hops, it works. I think I went back and forth between the 2 kegs 4 times.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 07:47:30 am »

Just did one ounce of whole leaf Cascade Hops, for 48 hours in my latest Ale (APA?). It did make an impact on the flavor. Not huge, best described as subtle hop flavor / aroma. Temp was 65 degrees. Hops removed, now crashing at 32 F. For those in Rio Linda, that means 0, or freezing.  ;D

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 10:10:35 am »
I did not use a hop bag or hop cylinder or anything. I just put the pellets loose into the beer. In my normal process, when I add the pellets, I tend to see them partially dissolve on top for a day or two before I see them fully dissolve and ultimately drop (often they don't drop until I reduce temperature. I do not know why, but I did not see the hops drop. It could be that there was more CO2 left in suspension than I usually have (which I also noticed in this beer), but I am hesitant to try this out on another IPA. Maybe I will try it again on something like an amber ale or a bitter where I won't miss much if the hop character is muted. It was really a bummer on this IPA -- Nelson Sauvin is my favorite hop and I was really looking forward to this one being a showstopper.