Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smack packs  (Read 778 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Smack packs
« on: January 09, 2021, 12:27:56 pm »
I just purchased and received my first Wyeast smack packs. My question is (which is probably a rookie one) do you guys usually make yeast starters with the smack packs or do the packs on their own have enough healthy cells in then to just pitch into a regular sized (abv wise)  5 gallon batch of ale?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Smack packs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 12:36:38 pm »
WYeast FAQ  7. Do I need to make a starter for an Activator?

No. The Activator is designed to deliver professional pitch rates (6 million cells/mL) when directly added to 5 gallons (19 L) of wort. (<1.060 at 70 °F/ 21 °C). However, if a package is slow to swell, suspected of being mishandled, or if the date is approaching the six month shelf life, it is a good idea to build the culture up with a starter. High gravity or low temperature fermentations require higher pitch rates. This can be achieved with inoculating with additional packages or making a starter.

https://wyeastlab.com/frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Smack packs
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 12:43:21 pm »
Thank you very much, excited to try this line of yeasts, white labs hasn't dissapointed me except for about two strains but I chalk that up partially to my grain bills. I'll report back.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:49:05 pm »
Despite what Wyeast says, my experience is that for my 5 gal. batch over 1.040 OG you will have better performance making a starter.  I say that having a fair bit of experience with Wyeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 12:55:05 pm »
Despite what Wyeast says, my experience is that for my 5 gal. batch over 1.040 OG you will have better performance making a starter.  I say that having a fair bit of experience with Wyeast.
I was thinking that I have never had a bad fermentation with a properly prepared and oxygenated starter and I was unsure to deviate from what's been working for me. But I have never seen yeast packaged like this

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 04:44:39 pm »
If it's a very fresh pack (<2-3 wks old) and you oxygenate well, you can pretty easily get away with direct-pitching it. I did so on two recent batches using 3068 and 1318, and both fermentations were well underway within 12 hours. I didn't even oxygenate the 3068 batch, and it turned out great. That said, I don't know if these observations generalize to other ale strains.

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:14 pm »
I create a starter with numbers computed from yeastcalc for every beer I brew (I use only liquid strains) - no matter the freshness.

I also infuse pure O2 on every batch too, and my fermentations are strong and fast.

How much of the O2 and yeast starter practices I can attribute to this, I do not know. But I enjoy my results so I keep my process the same.

James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 07:43:00 pm »
Definitely switching to the Shaken not stirred method with a good 02 regiment for the starter and the wort have yielded a noticeable difference in my brews for me

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 05:24:21 am »
I tend to make a low ABV batch first (1.036-1.040 OG) then proceed to larger ABV or larger volume repitches.  Much easier than making a starter, but when I make a starter, I use the SNS approach.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 05:57:32 am »
If you are going to risk direct pitching it make sure it swells quickly, you aerate the wort well (as was mentioned above) and the wort is absolutely below 1.060. If, during brewday the package is reluctant to swell and you haven't made a starter, pour off part of the wort from that batch (500 - 700 ml or so), aerate it well and pitch the yeast in there to "proof" the yeast then dump it in your well aerated wort once it shows signs of fermentation. If it is still sluggish have dry yeast handy for a stand by.

Oh yeah, make sure it is really fresh too. If it is older than a couple months you probably should just make a starter.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:20:14 am by majorvices »

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:35:48 am »
I always make a starter. I just got a pac of 2308 that is 6 months old. Hate online shopping. I am stepping it up and it is fine. I over build all my starters so making a starter is mandatory.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 07:21:08 am »
I tend to make a low ABV batch first (1.036-1.040 OG) then proceed to larger ABV or larger volume repitches.  Much easier than making a starter, but when I make a starter, I use the SNS approach.

I do this as well. Or sometimes I make a 1 gallon batch first. Just depends.