Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lippia graveolens  (Read 4171 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Lippia graveolens
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »
I know this is going to be a bit of a stretch, but does anybody have any Lippia graveolens (Mexican Oregano) growing in their yard?  There are some other plants that are sometimes called Mexican Oregano, I'm just looking for this one.  I want to grow it as a house plant since it's too cold where I live, and the online sources end up at $20+ for a tiny plant when you include shipping.  So before I drop the cash I thought I'd try here.  Looking for seeds or a small plant.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Lippia graveolens
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:44:35 am »
$20?!?  Is it Mexican Oregano or "Mexican Oregano"?  Does it come from Acapulco or something?

It's obviously not the same as fresh, but you can get dried Mexican Oregano from Penzeys.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:03:43 am »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:20 pm »
It's just a different kind of oregano.  Mexican Oregano is Lippia graveolens, Cuban Oregano is Plectranthus amboinicus, and Greek Oregano is Origanum vulgare.

Thanks for the link, the problem is their minimum order is $19.50 and they want $17.75 for shipping.  So it's $40 from them.  If they were local I'd just go buy one, but none of the local nurseries carry it.  Maybe I can get them to order one for me, it might be cheaper.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:53:14 am »
I would look for seed companies like Burpees's and start them from seed.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:14:10 am »
I've looked everywhere I can think of, no one seems to sell seeds.  If you know of a place, please let me know.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »
I'm going to look around locally because... well because. Mexican oregano is ubiquitous around here. Tom if I can find seeds I will send you some.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »
Shoot an email to Burpee, Park and Victory Seeds. Ask them if they can direct you to the proper source.
I'm sure one of them can help you.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:04:40 pm »
Thanks euge, let me know if you have any luck.

I've checked their websites blues, they don't have them listed.  I haven't contacted them though, good idea.  Thanks.
Tom Schmidlin