Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Switch from Abbaye to Kill Bananas?  (Read 295 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Switch from Abbaye to Kill Bananas?
« on: February 27, 2024, 05:47:58 pm »
I have an old recipe I really like. I tried to kill myself with IBU's, and by the standards of the time, the bitterness was pretty high at 60. I bittered with Nugget and then boiled a little Crystal for 15 minutes. Then I dumped more Crystal into the hot wort after the boil.

The grain bill is like an IPA. It's 9 lbs. Maris Otter, 2 lbs. 10L crystal, and 4 ounces table sugar. I fermented at room temperature (75) because at that time, I liked bananas. I used Abbaye.

I made this stuff last month. I forgot the 15-minute hopping. I set the fridge at 63 to reduce the bananas, but some still came through.

It's actually better without Crystal in the boil, but it seems to need more in the dry-hopping. It's extremely balanced. Total session beer. I have had it for around a month, and the bananas seem to have dropped out.

I asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask here anyway. I would like to reduce the bananas, so I am thinking of changing the yeast. S-04 was recommended. Sounds very promising. I still want a fast fermentation. I don't want to use US-05 because it seems slow to me.

Am I better off trying S-04 or sticking with Abbaye and going down to maybe 60 degrees? I'm afraid Abbaye may be contributing more to the character than esters, so I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Maybe I should just use Abbaye and let the beer rest a month before serving.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Switch from Abbaye to Kill Bananas?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 08:32:40 pm »
My thought is that if you like what Abbaye brings after a month of conditioning, I would stick with Abbaye. FWIW, I've never really liked S-04 (others certainly have different opinions), and it will be a very different beer with that. I did a batch with Abbaye last year at 64 degrees, and did not pick up any banana at that temperature.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 07:43:20 am »
I think going down to 60 degrees with Abbaye would slow down the fermentation, which isn't what you want.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 08:23:40 am »
Why do you want a fast fermentation?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 10:24:20 am »
Let me suggest Verdant IPA as another dry yeast option. It throws some esters, but it's mostly pear and stonefruit to my palate rather than banana. These esters tend to compliment hop flavors a bit more than a Belgian type strain would. If you're looking for a yeast that is characterful, but with minimal banana, I think Verdant is the best choice of the readily available dry yeast strains.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 11:08:06 am »
Sounds like you're after a Bepgian IPA. Try WY3522, the original Belgian IPA yeast
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell