Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain bugs problem  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Grain bugs problem
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 10:03:02 am »
We purchase our grain in 55 lb bags. Usually have two, maybe three bags sitting in my closet (summertime), or the utility room (winter time), as that is the coolest location with little or no humidity.

These bags will last for a month or longer, maybe even 10 weeks. Never had a bug problem. None.

Now...decades ago when a purchase was made from a local brew shop, we did have buggy grain. Their grain was stored out on the floor, in bins.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 04:20:36 pm »
would you make any other food product if it was infested with insects? I wouldnt eat oatmeal that was infested with bugs, so I wouldnt brew beer with it either.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:02 am »
would you make any other food product if it was infested with insects? I wouldn't eat oatmeal that was infested with bugs, so I wouldn't brew beer with it either.

That's my thinking, exactly.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:14 am »
would you make any other food product if it was infested with insects? I wouldn't eat oatmeal that was infested with bugs, so I wouldn't brew beer with it either.

That's my thinking, exactly.
When you put it that way I had grain bugs in a bag I had just open back in 2010. The internet at the time just told me to freeze it and once I don't see them anymore it's good to go. That's what I did.. I don't remember the beer. 

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:15 am »
would you make any other food product if it was infested with insects? I wouldnt eat oatmeal that was infested with bugs, so I wouldnt brew beer with it either.

I don't consider them analogous situations.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:19 am »
Got news for ya'll, breweries that open a 2200lb super sack to find it is infested with bugs ... use it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 11:31:38 am »
Got news for ya'll, breweries that open a 2200lb super sack to find it is infested with bugs ... use it.

And that's reality.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 11:41:06 am »
I believe it.  Just think of the level of infestation at the microbe level, even in the "cleanest" of grain sacks....thankfully boiling does wonders to clean up things (at least most things, anyway).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 02:40:46 pm »

I don't stress over it too much.  I might not make breakfast with the oatmeal but I would probably find something to use it for.

Insects have been a big part of the human diet for millions of years and likely be again in the future. There are some you should not eat but most won't hurt you.  We can't raise enough hogs and cattle to feed everyone the way Americans eat and the protean will need to come from somewhere.

I also admit I am not ready to eat live bugs, beyond the occasional accident while riding bike.  Food that fights back can be difficult to make yourself eat, at least for me.

RDWHAHB.  You can digest them.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 04:13:47 pm »

I don't stress over it too much.  I might not make breakfast with the oatmeal but I would probably find something to use it for.

Insects have been a big part of the human diet for millions of years and likely be again in the future. There are some you should not eat but most won't hurt you.  We can't raise enough hogs and cattle to feed everyone the way Americans eat and the protean will need to come from somewhere.

I also admit I am not ready to eat live bugs, beyond the occasional accident while riding bike.  Food that fights back can be difficult to make yourself eat, at least for me.

RDWHAHB.  You can digest them.

Paul
So you’re saying if the infestation is severe enough to add enough protein it could aid in haze formation for my next hazy boi!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Tummydoc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 04:58:44 pm »
The aversion to consuming insects is a Western Culture phenomenon. Southeast Asian culture embraces more readily alternate protein sources. I don't have a problem using grain with insects for a wort that will be boiled, fermented, and racked.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 07:21:25 am »
You might still be able to brew with them as others have said but would you want to?

There are more than just the bugs themselves in your grain. Bugs defecate and their poop is called "frass". Like all critters their lifespan comes to an end meaning you have bug carcasses in your grain as well. Probably a lot of them since your second infestation is likely the offspring of the now dead first generation(s). So when you raise a glass of that beer try not to think about all the bug s*** and insect cadavers that went into it.

If you only knew how many insect parts, frass and mold are in foods that you eat every day:  info below from CNN health . . .

The FDA has established standards to keep food defects to a minimum. 
Peanut butter is one of the most controlled foods in the FDA list; an average of one or more rodent hairs and 30 (or so) insect fragments are allowed for every 100 grams, which is 3.5 ounces.  Apple butter can also contain up to 12% mold, which is better than cherry jam, which can be 30% moldy, or black currant jam, which can be 75% moldy.

And the list goes on and on.

Fortunately AFAIK, e coli and norovirus can't grow in beer and unlike eating at certain restaurants that made marketing campaigns touting their organic ingredients, but whose patrons fell ill from eating food contaminated with the above organisms, beer is safe from microbes that will make you sick.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 07:24:27 am »
Some things are best not to think about

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:21 am »
You might still be able to brew with them as others have said but would you want to?

There are more than just the bugs themselves in your grain. Bugs defecate and their poop is called "frass". Like all critters their lifespan comes to an end meaning you have bug carcasses in your grain as well. Probably a lot of them since your second infestation is likely the offspring of the now dead first generation(s). So when you raise a glass of that beer try not to think about all the bug s*** and insect cadavers that went into it.

If you only knew how many insect parts, frass and mold are in foods that you eat every day:  info below from CNN health . . .

The FDA has established standards to keep food defects to a minimum. 
Peanut butter is one of the most controlled foods in the FDA list; an average of one or more rodent hairs and 30 (or so) insect fragments are allowed for every 100 grams, which is 3.5 ounces.  Apple butter can also contain up to 12% mold, which is better than cherry jam, which can be 30% moldy, or black currant jam, which can be 75% moldy.

And the list goes on and on.

Fortunately AFAIK, e coli and norovirus can't grow in beer and unlike eating at certain restaurants that made marketing campaigns touting their organic ingredients, but whose patrons fell ill from eating food contaminated with the above organisms, beer is safe from microbes that will make you sick.

And this is why we make our own peanut butter (from scratch), and our own jams, from fruit off of our trees. Organic. No rodent hairs, or bug parts!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 10:29:10 am »
just because things happen doesnt make it right. I just dont see how insect infestation in a food product is ever an acceptable thing. It's gross.