Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tipping allowed?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Re: Tipping allowed?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2021, 11:12:39 am »
I would never ask my guests to pay, tip or donate anything for the beer I have made. Yes, ingredients are costly and my time is valuable but I don't make it to recoup my costs. I make beer because I enjoy the process. I enjoy the results. And I enjoy sharing those results with my friends and family.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2021, 03:21:30 pm »
I have a friend who gives me money for raw material for a specific beer he likes. I make him beer. I don't take a penny more that what it costs to brew the beer. He even has his own corny kegs because I wasn't giving mine up temporarily while he drinks 15 gallons. I don't know if that's illegal or not and TBH I don't care. I would never take an offering of money for beer or ask for money in return. I like to share. The only thing I really want from friends and neighbors is that they give me honest feedback. I also make charcuterie for people. They pay me for the raw material. I don't take a penny for extra. Is that too illegal? The short answer is no. The long answer is I don't care!

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Tipping allowed?
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 12:22:05 pm »
In what alternative universe must someone live, where 1) he would even think of accepting money from a friend or family member for a glass of homebrew, or 2) he would accept money from strangers (“fans”) whom he let into his house for a sample of homebrew?

Maybe I’ve had a few already today, but it’s a ridiculous question, maybe from a troll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:24:27 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 04:05:22 pm »
No one has mentioned trading, or bartering instead of accepting cash.  What about, “If you give me a six pack of your home brew, I’ll give you two loaves of my fresh homemade bread”?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 04:31:19 pm »
Like all things alcoholic, beer is a tax revenue source.  There is a per barrel excise tax on beer and in many states the sales tax on liquor is higher than the sales tax on other taxable items.  For example, the sales tax on beer is 9% here in Maryland whereas the standard sales tax is 6%.  That is why it is illegal to charge for homemade beer.