Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A hop issue I ran into yesterday...  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: A hop issue I ran into yesterday...
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 01:12:28 pm »
I don't have hands-on experience with Loral, but I honestly think that even some citrusy/fruity hops play nice in an ESB. I agree that you are better off using known good hops rather than suspect ones, but I will also add that I've had hops that didn't smell like much of anything that made wonderful beers. Not every good hop has a potent aroma from the unused pellets/cones right out of the freezer.

Of course, if you picked up any kind of "off" aroma in your hops, then you 100% made the right move.
I took one of the pellets and crushed it so I could get a better feel for the condition of the hops.  The aroma got worse!  :D  I had some very nice US Goldings a few years ago and I probably should have ordered those... these were UK Goldings.

I love US goldings. Such an underutilized hop.
I just went over to YVH and ordered 8 ounces each of US Goldings, Hallertau Mitt and Spalt.  The Hallertau and Spalt I got from them the last time were really nice.  Fresh, aromatic and great in the beers I used them in.  I will take another swing at this ESB with 1968 when the US Goldings arrive. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.