Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Odor Removal  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Odor Removal
« on: January 11, 2021, 02:33:59 pm »
Just racked my beer from the two Genesis plastic brew buckets into 5 gallon kegs. There is a definite residual odor that is lingering, mainly of yeast. The buckets have been thoroughly cleaned, and sanitized.

How do we eliminate this odor?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Odor Removal
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:54:36 pm »
I don't think you do.  I ferment in plastic and they always have a faint smell of beer even after cleaning and sanitizing.  You could wash them with the hottest water you have and use some Craftmeister cleanser, Oxi, PBW, etc. and let it soak and then let them air out in the sun but honestly... the smell will probably still be there.  It will not impact future batches. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 04:34:55 pm »
I don't think you do.  I ferment in plastic and they always have a faint smell of beer even after cleaning and sanitizing.  You could wash them with the hottest water you have and use some Craftmeister cleanser, Oxi, PBW, etc. and let it soak and then let them air out in the sun but honestly... the smell will probably still be there.  It will not impact future batches.
Yep, same here. When I fermented in plastic the smell of yeast and hop oils was permanently embedded in there. It never affected the beer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:20:33 pm »
Think of it as a cast-iron pan or maybe a sourdough starter... there is a little bit from the last batch in the next batch.  No, actually don't think of it that way.  It's gross.  But I promise that you could make a super dark and hoppy high-ABV batch and then make a delicate Caribbean Lager in da same fermenter on the da next batch and EVERY LITTLE TING... GONNA BE AWRIGHT, mon.  :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:29:24 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:21:39 pm »
Strong caustics, like lye, can destroy molecules that may be creating aromas.  Find some lye at your grocery and mix up a strong solution to soak the interior with.  Do be very careful since a lye solution will quickly destroy your skin and eyes. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:08:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! It has been so long since plastic was used that I forgot about any odor issues.

I plan to brew another light lager in a few days, and will give these Genesis fermenters another go,

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:26:04 pm »
Bleach is fine just rinse it well. Removes odors and stains.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 10:01:40 pm »
Strong caustics, like lye, can destroy molecules that may be creating aromas.  Find some lye at your grocery and mix up a strong solution to soak the interior with.  Do be very careful since a lye solution will quickly destroy your skin and eyes.

But if it destroys the skin in your nose you won't smell that offending odor anymore!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:04:40 am »
The odor isn't a problem for future batches.  If it really bothers you, try baking soda.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 09:08:23 am »
Bleach is fine just rinse it well. Removes odors and stains.

Not to be critical but I don't know if I would want to use bleach.  That could impart an chlorine odor in the plastic, IMHO.  If beer does it, what's to stop bleach from doing that, again IMHO.  But that is just me.

I agree with Martin that caustic will do the job, although it is dangerous to use so be careful.  If you have a good relationship with a local brewer, you might be able to talk the brewer into selling you some.  That said, I have never had a problem with the beer odor in a plastic bucket effecting a subsequent batch and never worried about it.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 10:43:04 am »
Not to be critical but I don't know if I would want to use bleach.  That could impart an chlorine odor in the plastic, IMHO.  If beer does it, what's to stop bleach from doing that, again IMHO.  But that is just me.

I agree with Martin that caustic will do the job, although it is dangerous to use so be careful.  If you have a good relationship with a local brewer, you might be able to talk the brewer into selling you some.  That said, I have never had a problem with the beer odor in a plastic bucket effecting a subsequent batch and never worried about it.
I think this is the key right here.  You have a solution looking for a problem and there really is no problem.  I make A LOT of wimpy gold lagers and they are good tests for whether a flavor would be transferred from the fermenter to the finished beer.  It does not happen. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 11:52:35 am »

I think this is the key right here.  You have a solution looking for a problem and there really is no problem.  I make A LOT of wimpy gold lagers and they are good tests for whether a flavor would be transferred from the fermenter to the finished beer.  It does not happen.

This is most reassuring, so full speed ahead with the next brew...Munich Helles.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 12:13:47 pm »
There is nothing wrong with using bleach to remove stains and odors. Just needs rinsed well. Dose it correctly, don't use it on stainless, rinse it well and it is perfectly fine. I've done it a hundred-bazzillion-gazillion times.

Definitely agree that the previous batch odor is not going to be an issue, but if you need a tool to remove stains and aroma bleach is probably the most convenient to use.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 12:31:42 pm »
There is nothing wrong with using bleach to remove stains and odors. Just needs rinsed well. Dose it correctly, don't use it on stainless, rinse it well and it is perfectly fine. I've done it a hundred-bazzillion-gazillion times.

Definitely agree that the previous batch odor is not going to be an issue, but if you need a tool to remove stains and aroma bleach is probably the most convenient to use.

Tried baking soda?  Works great for me.  But as we all said, its not problem

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:22 pm »

This is most reassuring, so full speed ahead with the next brew...Munich Helles.

See reply #8

www.dennybrew.com