Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what are some example prices you pay for beer at local stores or the bar?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: what are some example prices you pay for beer at local stores or the bar?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 01:07:09 pm »
www.thebeerstore.ca

Prices will be going up this spring because of greedy governments.

yup, its just that the money isnt even going to breweries per se (except the ones who own the beerstore), most of the price is tax, well created by the provincial government just to collect more money.

it's the original reason why i started to homebrew.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 05:51:30 am »
www.thebeerstore.ca

Prices will be going up this spring because of greedy governments.

yup, its just that the money isnt even going to breweries per se (except the ones who own the beerstore), most of the price is tax, well created by the provincial government just to collect more money.

it's the original reason why i started to homebrew.
Move to America! We have a little bit cheaper beer. You will have to declare bankruptcy if you get sick, the roads and airports were built in the fifties, and schools are only good if you live in a wealthy town, but hey, relatively cheap beer.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:26:21 pm »
I recently purchased a 4-pack of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA for the price of, wait for it, $40.00. That is $10 a bottle.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 03:40:51 pm »
I recently purchased a 4-pack of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA for the price of, wait for it, $40.00. That is $10 a bottle.
I remember buying a wine-sized bottle of that years ago for that price or less.  It had the image of the circus guy driving a nail into his nasal passage.  I wish I had saved that bottle.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 03:41:31 pm »
That's actually not horrible. I probably paid close to that the last time I bought one... about 15 years ago.

That is probably the original "hop stunt IPA" by the way... just sayin'  ;)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 03:45:34 pm »
That's actually not horrible. I probably paid close to that the last time I bought one... about 15 years ago.

That is probably the original "hop stunt IPA" by the way... just sayin'  ;)
Wait.  It was 90 minute: https://beerpulse.com/2013/01/what-the-dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa-label-looked-like-twelve-years-ago/
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 08:57:55 am »
Wait.  It was 90 minute: https://beerpulse.com/2013/01/what-the-dogfish-head-90-minute-ipa-label-looked-like-twelve-years-ago/

That was what I thought I was buying.  Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA also used to ship in a 4-pack.  I saw Dogfish Head in a 4-pack and assumed it was their 90 Minute IPA, that was until I went to check out.  Their 120 Minute IPA is usually difficult to acquire.  It is made infrequently in what appears to be small batches.  I can honestly say that 120 Minute IPA is the strongest beer I have ever consumed.  I am good for one bottle, at best.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 10:09:51 am »
another reference point i suppose. i paid $11.50 or so for a 750ml of st.bernardus 12 for new years. tasted different from what i remembered it to be.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 10:16:51 am »
A 750ml of Chimay around here (Denver) or even when I lived in Texas up to 2018 was $9-12 (a little more here). That's the only one of the beers discussed I know offhand because I drink a fair amount of Belgian beer.

Beer is definitely more expensive these days, not just from inflation but from a host of issues. One of the things driving price changes, at least in domestic beer, is the format change to sixteen ounce cans. We saw the same thing when every beer was going into a 22oz or 750ml bottle but the demand for the can size has justified a lot of increases across the board. The insane amount of hops used in hazy IPAs always found in those sixteen ounce four packs is also a big reason why consumers swallow those prices. It's common here to see the more demanded breweries putting out four packs of IPA at $20-25 and even their four packs of pilsners or other less expensive to produce beers still run $14-16 for a four pack. When you can sell a four pack of a little less beer for $24 why keep selling that six pack at $12-14.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 07:29:50 pm »
Most of the European cities that we visit have draft beer much cheaper than back here. In Frankfurt, about 3.25 Euro for a half liter.
In Amsterdam, during Happy Hour, a .5 liter of Heineken is 3 Euro.
It was less than that in Prague.

Since we have 5 to 6 beers on tap in our home bar, we have no need (or desire) to go out.

so... how many of them are you?

Last count, 9.87. You know, COVID-19 and all that.

narvin

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:00 pm »
If you know of anywhere you can buy anything for the same price as10 years ago, please let me know.

My energy bill keeps going down.  Maybe there's also beer in that shale that we can frack for...

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »

That was what I thought I was buying.  Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA also used to ship in a 4-pack.  I saw Dogfish Head in a 4-pack and assumed it was their 90 Minute IPA, that was until I went to check out.  Their 120 Minute IPA is usually difficult to acquire.  It is made infrequently in what appears to be small batches.  I can honestly say that 120 Minute IPA is the strongest beer I have ever consumed.  I am good for one bottle, at best.

I would be interested in your thoughts on 120.  The last time I had it was years ago and at that time it was so different.  However, when I come across it now I start to wonder if it's worth the money.  Maybe worth another thread? 

I'm in MN, so I'm not sure we always get the most fresh DFH.  I tend to stay away from it when I see it in liquor stores (similar to Stone and Sam Adams) in MN.