Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for red ale then wee heavy  (Read 1274 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast for red ale then wee heavy
« on: January 13, 2021, 07:09:30 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for a yeast for a 5-6% irish red ale, then using the slurry in a 8-9% wee heavy style.  My LHBS has White Labs and Imperial yeasts in stock.  I've used wlp004 for a red ale, and wlp028 for a wee heavy.  This time I'm looking to save a little $ plus I love how well 2nd and 3rd generation yeast performs in higher OG beers.   
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Yeast for red ale then wee heavy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 07:01:56 am »
I think WLP004 would work great for this.  Enjoy!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:28:33 am »
I am actively trying to improve my knowledge of yeast and really enjoy questions like this. Also, answers from those more knowledgeable, like Dave Taylor. Thank you.

Looking at the White Labs website, I was surprised to find their description of 004 and 028 seeming to be similar. The description for 028 (which I've never used, so I don't know) maybe has more ester character than 004.

I was specifically looking for alcohol tolerance and the specification for both lists 8-12%. So both seem like good options, but having used 004 in an Irish Red, I would personally use that one.
Roger

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:02 am »
Thanks.  My main priority is the wee heavy.  Looking for a yeast that helps bring the rich, malty flavors out.  I know wlp004 works well in the irish red, I'm looking forward to how it works in the heavy.  I've only brewed each of these once so I'm still working on the recipes.

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:00:15 pm »
WLP028 Edinburgh ale yeast is essentially my house yeast and I cant recommend it enough, emphasizes malt, leaves a wonderful mouthfeel and drops clear.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 03:13:16 pm »
I use WLP028 in my Scottish ales and also in some of my stouts. I find it brings an interesting complexity to the stouts compared to using something like WLP007. I use WLP004 for my Irish ales, but WLP028 would probably work well there, too.

P.S. Do you know the difference between Irish Coffee and Scottish Coffee? The Irish version has coffee in it. ;D
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 04:36:20 pm »
i also try to think of thigns like that, but i've come to the conclusion lately that i need to focus less on what i imagine regional/stylistic accuracy is/was, and just make a beer that tastes better.

afaik WLP028 is more popular than 004 because 004's negatives are "meh, nothing special" and too much diacetyl sometimes. though i haven't personally used either.

just choose whichever one you think is a tastier yeast.

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 11:02:40 pm »
My LHBS had a pretty fresh packet of Imperial A31 Tartan, (McEwan strain, wlp028 equivalent) so I went with that.  I direct pitched the packet into 5.5 gallons of 1.052 wort, sitting in a tub of 63F water in a bathroom that runs between 62-68F throughout the day. 

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 02:01:24 pm »
A really good Red Ale yeast strains is Wyeast 1450.  North Coast Brewing made their bones with that yeast culture and Red Seal Ale.