Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rum  (Read 1489 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Rum
« on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:48 pm »
I dont think I've seen a thread on this, so i figured I'd get one started.

As much as I love bourbon and Scotch, barrel aged rum has been my spirit of choice recently. They definitely haven't had the price blow up to the extent of whiskey (yet), so you can get incredible examples in the $20-$50 range. The selection available isn't as extensive as whiskey, even in higher end stores, but it's been getting better.

My go to is Brugal Añejo. It's an easy sipper, with lots of vanilla and caramel. The price is extremely reasonable where you can find it.

I just cracked the seal on a bottle of Brugal 1888. I can't read Spanish, but it looks like it is aged in Bourbon barrels, followed by Sherry. It definitely has a firm tannic note, but it fades into all kinds of vanilla, honey, caramel, and figgy/sherry notes. The tannin is a bit too strong, but its getting softer as my ice melts. But the sherry cask notes are really nice. I will definitely make it a point to search out more sherry barrel aged rums after trying this one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

Re: Rum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 08:00:24 pm »
Rum isn't my favorite drink, but I thought the El Dorado 15 yr was quite nice.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:29 pm »
I must have never tasted a good rum.  I don't like rum at all.  In Wisconsin, we drink everything BUT rum.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ishkabibble

• 1st Kit

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 05:38:54 am »
I wouldn’t mind finding a good bottle of aged rum or two. Sometimes all I want to drink is one glass of nice spirits after dinner while I read. I generally find bourbon too sweet and am not always up for a glass of scotch.
I do like a corn and oil with good black rum. It’s a drink I learned about in Keith Richard’s autobiography.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:15 am »
Good rum is wonderful. I had a couple rum barrels that I put a quad in. The rum from those barrels is so smooth, I can drink it straight without that alcohol shiver after each sip. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand other than is an old company like from the 1700's or 1800's from scotland or around there. A 750 of it started around $60.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:48 am »
I plan to eventually work on a Rum Off with some of the barrel aged variants. A friend picked up a Havana Club 7 in Cuba and brought it back for me. I'd like to have a HC Especial as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:06:01 pm by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 11:58:58 am »
I plan to eventually work on a Rum Off with some of the barrel aged variants. A friend picked up a Havana Club 7 in Cuba and brought it back for me. I'd like to be a HC Especial as well.
Jealous! I think I'm equally looking forward to Cuban rums as much as Cuban cigars if the damn embargo ever gets lifted.

Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 04:56:57 pm »
The Corn and Oil.
Couldn't resist.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:45:45 pm »
The Corn and Oil.
Couldn't resist.

I need to track down some falernum now! Any combo of rum and lime is totally my jam. I have a couple of nice Cachaças for caipirinhas, and I always keep some Gosling Black Seal and/or Myers on hand for Dark and Stormy's. Rum and Tonic with a big wedge of lime is another fave of mine.

Eric B.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 07:43:04 am »
The Corn and Oil.
Couldn't resist.

I need to track down some falernum now! Any combo of rum and lime is totally my jam. I have a couple of nice Cachaças for caipirinhas, and I always keep some Gosling Black Seal and/or Myers on hand for Dark and Stormy's. Rum and Tonic with a big wedge of lime is another fave of mine.

You can make your own falernum easy enough. I really like cruzan better for black strap rum, and especially their Estate Diamond.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 08:14:06 pm »
i rarely buy rum because i know which ones are bad (and bad rum is godawful) and which ones are really good (good rum is just too easy to drink way too much of)

first time i was ever drunk was off bacardi gold. that has always been my personal definition of "overpowering, harsh liquor taste".

goslings black from bermuda is fairly unknown, inexpensive, almost as black as a stout and just tastes like perfectly smooth, chocolatey, toffee fudge.

that is my own personal slayer, i can not buy that stuff cause i will drink it till its gone in one sitting.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 10:08:16 pm »
Goslings Black is used with ginger beer to make the drink "Dark and Stormy."  It is quite popular where I live.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 09:56:41 am »
I had a long divorce from rum after college because rum and coke was my cheap well drink and I threw it up a few times and that was the end of that. On a trip to Miami I tried some aged rum and no longer have that problem. I still don't drink a lot of rum but my normal house rum is Flor de Cana 4 which is very reasonably priced and far superior to most of the big brands. I have a bottle of Flor de Cana 21 which is stupendous. Sweeter like bourbon but thinner bodied like scotch.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 07:13:43 pm »
I bought this bottle a few years ago because I couldn't resist when I heard about it. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't exactly call it my favorite sipper. The aroma is nice, with lots of vanilla and brown sugar, but you get a lot of wood and tannic bite as you sip. I guess it's sorta like having a hedgehog in your mouth? ;D It does go nice with some tonic and a couple of lime wedges, but it's mainly just a conversation piece.

Eric B.