Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary fermentation with fruit  (Read 958 times)

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
Secondary fermentation with fruit
« on: January 11, 2021, 12:41:55 pm »
I am trying an experiment by adding cut apples into an amble ale. I read it was best to add after primary fermentation, so I added to the fermenter after 1 week. It's been 2 weeks since I've added them and I'm still seeing an occasional bubble come up through the airlock. I was hoping to transfer to keg today, so not worried about bottle bombs, but wondering if I should leave it alone until the bubbling stops entirely.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Secondary fermentation with fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:20 pm »
Take a gravity reading.  All bubbles tell you is that CO2 is being released, not necessarily that fermentation is happening.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:35:14 pm »
CO2 production never stops entirely in fully fermented beer that's sitting on the yeast cake. When yeast are done fermenting and settle and go dormant, they metabolize their glycogen reserves to say alive, and so they will still produce CO2, albeit much more slowly. And you may have added other microbes to the beer with those apple slices, which will slowly consume carbon sources in the beer and also produce CO2.

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 01:47:02 pm »
Gotcha, that makes sense. The gravity was down to 1.01 when I added the apples, which I assume is adding more fermentable sugar. So I'm not sure how to account for these sugars for follow up readings to determine when it's "done". I was planning two weeks based on what I've read in How to Brew.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »
Gotcha, that makes sense. The gravity was down to 1.01 when I added the apples, which I assume is adding more fermentable sugar. So I'm not sure how to account for these sugars for follow up readings to determine when it's "done". I was planning two weeks based on what I've read in How to Brew.

Just check to see if it's stable over the course of a few days.  When fermentation happens,  O2 is produced.  Some pd it is released, some of it goes into solution in the beer.  That dissolved CO2 can be released,  making it appear that fermentation is happening even when it isn't
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 01:57:21 pm »

Just check to see if it's stable over the course of a few days.  When fermentation happens,  O2 is produced.  Some pd it is released, some of it goes into solution in the beer.  That dissolved CO2 can be released,  making it appear that fermentation is happening even when it isn't

^Yeah just go with this advice. Almost certainly the yeast would be done fermenting the apple sugars after two weeks, and any additional microbes would work so slowly that the gravity, if stable, won't appreciably change anymore.

Offline dpevans

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 02:35:29 pm »
This is exactly why I am happy dues-paying member of the AHA. Thanks guys.