Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Temperature - New Glarus Totally Naked  (Read 1077 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Mash Temperature - New Glarus Totally Naked
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:49:29 am »
Pursuing some sessions beers to start off the year, I’m hoping to brew a clone of New Glarus’ Totally Naked.  I’m using the recipe found in Session Beers by Talley.  In the book there is not a mash temperature listed.  The recipe is rather simple and it’s all American 2 Row and the OG is 1.040 and final gravity is 1.008. 

Sometimes when I think session beer, I think higher mash temperatures but this beer finishes on the drier end at 1.008.  I’m thinking mashing at 152F for 60 minutes. 

Thoughts?

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Mash Temperature - New Glarus Totally Naked
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:35 am »
More than anything else, it depends on the yeast.  What yeast strain do you plan to use?
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 11:25:15 am »
Right. Forgot about that.  34/70

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:28:15 pm »
Okay.  In my experience, that yeast has an average attenuation of about 74-75%.  So starting with an OG of 1.040, with a "normal" mash, you might expect a final gravity of about 1.010.  So...... if you want FG 1.008, you should probably mash low and long, let's say 149 F for 90 minutes.

That's what I would do.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:42:59 pm »
I typically get about 78% attenuation when I mash at 150F for 45 minutes
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 01:42:41 pm »
I think it was Denny who first suggested that rather than cloning a commercial beer, consider doing an homage to the brew.  That is, you are likely not going to absolutely duplicate the commercial beer, possibly due to different ingredients, water, and/or process.  I suspect that the 2 row barley can differ significantly in final flavor - using any number of American malts.  Good luck to you on seeking out a fine tasting beer, if not a true example of the Classic American Pilsner (no corn or rice according to NG); it seems that the craft world is embracing the style these days.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 01:47:01 pm »
I think it was Denny who first suggested that rather than cloning a commercial beer, consider doing an homage to the brew.  That is, you are likely not going to absolutely duplicate the commercial beer, possibly due to different ingredients, water, and/or process.  I suspect that the 2 row barley can differ significantly in final flavor - using any number of American malts.  Good luck to you on seeking out a fine tasting beer, if not a true example of the Classic American Pilsner (no corn or rice according to NG); it seems that the craft world is embracing the style these days.

Agreed on all.  And mash temp may or may not make much difference depending on the malt you use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 01:53:23 pm »

Totally agree with this.  Like you said, I was really looking for a simple, clean lager with a low ABV.  I that I read that New Glarus uses Wisconsin grown barley, so you’re point is very valid.  I remember years ago listening to an interview of Dan Carey (co-owner of New Glarus with his wife) and he was pretty tight lipped about ingredients and their recipes.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:32 pm »
The 2-Row that I’ll be using is Rahr.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 09:07:01 am »
The 2-Row that I’ll be using is Rahr.

I have a lot of experience with Rahr pale malt. I found that it took a large change in temp to make any difference in attenuation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell