Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Too soon?  (Read 1606 times)

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
Too soon?
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »
I am in the middle of a boil for an amber ale kit. I just got it to a boil a few minutes ago and added 1 oz. of Challenger pellets and will add 1 oz. of Cascade pellets later. The question I have is that the recipe calls to add teh Cascade's with 15 minutes left in the boil. From what I have read this seems to be a little early. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
Re: Too soon?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:29 pm »
Whether it is too soon depends on the intent of the hop addition in that recipe.  If you are looking at it as primarily an aroma addition, then it is too soon.  At knockout would be a better time for that addition.  On the other hand, if its purpose is to add flavor to the beer with only minor additions to the bitterness and aroma, then 15 minutes would be right.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
Well I decided to follow the recipe, but I will know what to point to if the aroma isn't where I would like.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:15:22 pm »
If you don't like the aroma after primary, dry hop it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:26:03 am »
Well I decided to follow the recipe, but I will know what to point to if the aroma isn't where I would like.

How is it now?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline uintafly

• Cellarman
  • SLC, Utah
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:56:12 am »

How is it now?

It seems good. It has really good aroma actually and the taste seems on (as far as I can tell before bottling). I plan on bottling it up sometime this week. We had a few colder days here so it fermented a little colder than I originally planned so it fermented a little slower than I excpected, but nothing to be worried about. It started with an OG of 1.046 and as of Friday was at 1.012.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:40:05 pm by dbeechum »