Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Would a "Whole Hive Mead" be classified as Traditional or Historical under the guidelines?

Traditional
1 (25%)
Historical
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: February 01, 2021, 10:16:56 am

Author Topic: WHOLE HIVE MEAD  (Read 1889 times)

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
WHOLE HIVE MEAD
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:16:56 am »
Would a "Whole Hive Mead" be classified as Traditional or Historical under the guidelines?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: WHOLE HIVE MEAD
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:12:39 pm »
Will the bottles have chunks of hive in them?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:26:11 pm »
LOL. no  not any chunks of hive floating around.  Beautiful, clear, golden color.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:32:01 pm »
depends on the location. that kind of distinction must purely be for humour, right?

the hive might have a whole bunch of yeasts on it, which could start the fermentation off by itself, so in that sense it could be something practiced many thousands of years ago in some places.

in east asia it is fairly easy to find alcohol which has had bees or pieces of the hive itself and bees added to distilled alcohol and let sit for a period of time. though funny enough the concept of mead (fermented honey alcohol) is basically unheard of in contemporary korea/japan at least.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:07:37 pm »
LOL. no  not any chunks of hive floating around.  Beautiful, clear, golden color.
Then what about it would make it different?
The best mead I ever made was a braggot made with smoked malt and honey that was harvested with big chunks of hive.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:21 pm »
Not meant to be humorous.  I make my Whole Hive Mead by using only raw honey ( not heated above 100 degrees ).  It goes thru the first screening but not the fine screening.  I put pollen from hives, royal jelly, propolis, and also include some of the wax cappings in my original ferment.  A bee keeper gave me approximations of how much of those ingredients would be in a normal hive.  However, I don't throw any bees in it, that would be to cruel...LOL.  This makes an incredibly good mead.  From what I have been hearing over the past 10 years of making it this way I may be the only one in the country making Whole Hive Mead.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 01:22:29 pm »
Not meant to be humorous.  I make my Whole Hive Mead by using only raw honey ( not heated above 100 degrees ).  It goes thru the first screening but not the fine screening.  I put pollen from hives, royal jelly, propolis, and also include some of the wax cappings in my original ferment.  A bee keeper gave me approximations of how much of those ingredients would be in a normal hive.  However, I don't throw any bees in it, that would be to cruel...LOL.  This makes an incredibly good mead.  From what I have been hearing over the past 10 years of making it this way I may be the only one in the country making Whole Hive Mead.

We will need you to send a few bottles to the mods on the forum to verify this.  ;)

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 01:28:00 pm »
Haha, I'm sure a lot of people would like a bottle or two.  Anyone in the southern Ohio area is welcome to come for a taste.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 04:58:15 pm »
As someone who has made mead for a long time and has kept bees for just as long I am intrigued. I can see what propolis and pollen could add to flavor, not sure about wax.
I pass my honey from our hives through the typical double strainer and use it for mead and as food raw.
I assume you also make traditional mead. Can you describe the difference in taste, aroma, etc. vis a vis mead made just from honey?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 05:00:41 pm »
could imagine extra stuff could add some nutrients for the yeast?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 05:02:40 pm »
could imagine extra stuff could add some nutrients for the yeast?
Yes. Bee pollen is excellent nutrient. Obviously not a cost effective one if you can’t collect it yourself.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 07:17:19 pm »
As someone who has made mead for a long time and has kept bees for just as long I am intrigued. I can see what propolis and pollen could add to flavor, not sure about wax.
I pass my honey from our hives through the typical double strainer and use it for mead and as food raw.
I assume you also make traditional mead. Can you describe the difference in taste, aroma, etc. vis a vis mead made just from honey?
Old wax is pretty gross looking, and probably has a bunch of pesticides in it.

Sounds like a ton of work to make it, unless there's an easy way of collecting royal jelly that I don't know about? I seem to remember hearing about a "health" beer (low abv) brewery that made beer with pollen.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 10:01:12 am »
I just add a little of the cappings because years ago when a wild hive was found they would use the "whole hive" in the making of their mead.  Don't know if it adds any flavor or nutrients.  I have tasted several meads made from just honey alone and they are very plain compared to a whole hive mead.  I have had good luck with Lalvin K1-v1116 yeast.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:03:47 pm »
I'm a beekeeper, wax will accumulate pesticides over time, I would be weary about adding anything other than freshly made wax to a drink. Propolis is known to have pretty potent anti fungal and antibacterial properties. Are you adding propolis as well? Bees also lacto ferment pollen into highly digestible "bee bread". Do you find that mead made in this fashion is more acidic than typical? Also, do you know what kind of mite treatments have been used on the hive you are getting this from? Things like Apivar definitely leave chemical residue in the hive

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 02:45:32 pm »
If it tastes like a traditional - put it there. If there are significant flavors contributed by the odds and ends, then historical or experimental.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<