Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Clarity  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Clarity
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 12:52:41 pm »
I have to disagree about the mixing part.  I have watched warm (160F) gelatin solution, poured gently on top of cold beer in a carboy, form a visible layer and, as the temperatures equalize, drop to the bottom taking the haze along with it.  No mixing involved.
This is correct.  Also, gel solution is NOT a positive or negative-charged thing like Whirfloc is.  If you have seen pictures of some of the clear beer I have posted, that is a result of simply opening a keg and pouring some gel solution on top and sealing the keg back up.  At that point the beer is cold and flat and I would start carbing afterwards.  The solution is warm, the beer is cold so the gel sits on top at first and slowly falls dragging everything else down with it.  It's a physical reaction, I believe not a chemical one.  My comment on the pH is that I focus carefully on my mash pH but could slight variations in my pH adjustment cause some cloudiness?  I'm not sure.  On this blonde ale I have that is cloudy, I have absolutely no idea why it's cloudy.  It may have been gelled TWICE and everything else regarding the brewday went as planned.  It just happens sometimes but the vast majority come out very clear.
Are you sure you reached terminal gravity? Maybe the yeast didn’t finish and at fridge temps it is still working albeit very slowly.

I have had this occasional problem also. I am not sure what the issue is. The above is a wild guess.
Yes, my beers ferment in a fridge and then go awhile longer on the basement floor to finish up and by the time I transfer to a keg (usually 10-12 days after pitching), the yeast is completely settled, the beer is mostly clear and final gravities are low... 1.006 to 1.008 is common.  The beers taste good too and I would be able to tell if I was drinking underfermented beer.  But there could be a clue here because the beer is clear(ish) at room temp so that suggests it's chill haze.  Funny too because I have been using something called ClearZyme where you add something like 1ml of this liquid when you pitch your yeast and it's supposed to wipe out chill haze.  Many of my beers look pretty much the same so my conclusion is that it doesn't work very well.  I have tried many fining agents but I seem to be a fan of using a gel solution.  It [almost] always does what I want.  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 01:02:35 pm »
I guarantee I could get any beer I wanted as clear as the picture I posted earlier with proper mash pH, proper boil, rapid"ish" chilling, 1-2 weeks cold conditioning and gelatin ... or at least biofine clear.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 08:09:53 pm »
I never "mix" the gelatin into the beer. Instead, it is slowly poured in the top of the keg. The beer is at or very near 32 degrees F.
Works every time.

Offline EchoValley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 04:44:44 am »
Used to use gelatin, but switched to BioFine for any folks who may be vegetarian (I'm not and each to their own) and stop by to taste my brews.  BioFine has worked just a well if not better IMO.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 03:13:24 pm »
I use biofine now for beers I want to be bright AND the floating diptubes from Clear Beer. Those alone will make a huge difference.
Jesse

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 06:37:19 am »
I never mix gelatin and it works great in my opinion.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 06:43:13 am »
I never mix gelatin and it works great in my opinion.
What do you mean?  Pour the powder onto the top of the beer?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995