Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: breakfast cereal mash  (Read 2237 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: breakfast cereal mash
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 08:46:08 am »
I made a very good pale ale using Grape Nuts.  Very big creamy head, good flavor.  I remember using distilled water to brew, with no added salts, since I knew the cereal contained a lot of salts already.

If experimenting with cereals, I would stick with the basics.  Grape Nuts are yummy, they already contain barley malt so it's a good fit.  Shredded Wheat.  Regular Life cereal.  Corn Flakes.  Rice Krispies.  All these might turn out okay.

But anything more like Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles etc..... blecch, that's going to turn out a gray color, and yeah, really just a gimmick.

Hold back on salt additions.  You might only need distilled/RO plus acid to get the pH down where it belongs.

Or... just don't brew with cereal at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:26 am »
The whole thing about gimmicks is they are fun for a while and can be fun to experiment from a novelty aspect ... but are you really gonna drink 5 gallons?

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 09:38:34 am »
I've heard you can use lots off kinds of cereal in your mash I'm gonna try out rice crisps I've never used cereal I could use all the tips I canGet

A craft brewery near me uses Fruity Pebbles cereal in a beer. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great but interesting at the same time. I'm interested to hear some feedback from members who use cereal.

A brewery near me made a Fruity Pebbles light ale kind of in recognition of the fact there's a General Mills plant in town that makes the cereal. Yes, it was a gimmick beer, had a faint pinkish color, and tasted a bit more or less like the cereal. Was not bad, was far from wonderful, and no way I'd drink 5 gallons if it.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:07 am »
I made a very good pale ale using Grape Nuts.  Very big creamy head, good flavor.  I remember using distilled water to brew, with no added salts, since I knew the cereal contained a lot of salts already.

If experimenting with cereals, I would stick with the basics.  Grape Nuts are yummy, they already contain barley malt so it's a good fit.  Shredded Wheat.  Regular Life cereal.  Corn Flakes.  Rice Krispies.  All these might turn out okay.

But anything more like Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles etc..... blecch, that's going to turn out a gray color, and yeah, really just a gimmick.

Hold back on salt additions.  You might only need distilled/RO plus acid to get the pH down where it belongs.

Yeah, Grape Nuts are a good choice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 03:30:08 pm »

Yeah, Grape Nuts are a good choice.

Yes, a good choice...for breakfast! In a bowl, with milk. Coffee and juice optional. With a side order of bacon, cooked to perfection.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:59:55 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 12:27:57 pm »
I've heard you can use lots off kinds of cereal in your mash I'm gonna try out rice crisps I've never used cereal I could use all the tips I canGet

well, looking at your username, i perceive a certain "tendency", right or wrong on my part about why you are interested in using rice crisp cereal.

buying 2row malt is as cheap as you will get especially in terms of ease of use, potential gravity (and alcohol) per weight and taste. if you look around you should be able to get cheap 2row at $1.00 per lb, and all you need is 9 lbs for 5 gallons of 5% beer. if you dont have any equipment, you could do this with a big enough pot (5 gallons plus), a very large paint strainer bag from home depot (a few bucks) and the grain and an oz or two of hops. mash at ~150F for an hour. remove grain and boil, add hops and youre done. oh and yeast too.