Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: disposing of yeast cake  (Read 15873 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: disposing of yeast cake
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
Our septic system consists of one 500 gal holding tank, and then spills over into a 500 gallon dosing tank.
Both tanks are pumped every fall, and then https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Power-1868-Septic-Shock/dp/B08818GHMW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=septic+shock&qid=1612379920&sr=8-7 is added to each tank.
This gives the leach fields a break, septic system is 24 years old, no issues.

I was a little concerned at first with the yeast being washed down the drain, but I think I'm ok.
Grain is thrown out with the trash.  Live on edge of a national forest and have enough critters.
"Been a hoot-owl howling by my window now", 4 am this morning.

Regarding the yeast, it depends on size of tank, load on tank (people), and how often it's pumped.
A poorly maintained and/or highly stressed septic system is looking for a reason to fail.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:36:33 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »
In the yard, but not on the Japanese Maple.  Got in trouble doing that. 
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 01:44:59 pm »
Compost

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 11:06:28 pm »
Also compost. Depending upon where you live, there are probably neighbors who would be happy to add it to their gardens or compost.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 07:46:11 am »
I dump yeast in the compost or the yard. I used to dump old yeast in jars down the septic until I had a problem. We have an old house that has been added on to several times and has two septic system tanks. One for the main bath that is vented and one for the kitchen, laundry and 1/2 bath that was added on later. The second tank is not vented.
One night after doing this for awhile I got up to use the second bath in the middle of the night. I didn't turn on the lights so as not to wake my Wife. I set down on the seat and was shocked to feel water on it. The yeast produced co2 enough to vent up through the toilet and wet the seat, gross.
I had the tank pumped and now the yeast  goes to the compost. I don't know if it was a problem to the vented tank but I had it pumped too.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 08:49:48 am »
I guess most people who don't garden also don't compost. I compost every thing from egg shells to apple cores to veggies that go bad before they are eaten. Definitely any brewers waste goes into compost. The big issue with grain is it can definitely pile up quickly depending how much you brew and create a pretty terrible aroma. It's best i recon to either have acreage or to hate your neighbors.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 08:51:25 am »
I guess most people who don't garden also don't compost. I compost every thing from egg shells to apple cores to veggies that go bad before they are eaten. Definitely any brewers waste goes into compost. The big issue with grain is it can definitely pile up quickly depending how much you brew and create a pretty terrible aroma. It's best i recon to either have acreage or to hate your neighbors.

We have 5 composers and compost pretty much everything.  There's no need to compost the yeast when it's  much easier to just toss it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 09:16:18 am »
Convenience for me. It all gets tossed into a bin and walked down to the garden. So why not? Easier than flushing it down the drain since i do all that work outdoors.