Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: if you could improve the standard north american industrial lager in 1 step how?  (Read 8750 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Peroni has a distinct CRISP taste that you can pick out.  I know that Stella uses corn/maize and Peroni probably does too.  I went to some kind of Italian Fest here in Chicago one year and they had Peroni on draft and it was fresh and delicious.

Peroni Nastro Azurro uses what they call "Nostrano dell’Isola maize" but then everything sounds better in Italian. Never the less, this beer has wonderful corn flavor if you can find it fresh.
I think I remember seeing that.  But there is something else that stands out about that beer and I don't know what it is.  The variety of hops, whichever yeast strain they use... not sure what it is but if you put 10 gold beers in a glass next to each other I'm pretty sure I could pick it out from that crowd.  Probably not so much with Stella.

cant stand stella, ive had such horrible experiences with it. its probably a NAIL in all its attributes. seriously tastes like it, they just have a powerful marketing voice, the "european" name.

some of the worst beers on earth are from netherlands btw. they make some horrendous chemical tasting, insanely gross, easily single digits IBU industrial piss.

Next time you're in the Netherlands, check out Brand.  Everything from pils-ish to IPA.  All the ones I tried were very good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster

Next time you're in the Netherlands, check out Brand.  Everything from pils-ish to IPA.  All the ones I tried were very good.

lol, likely won't ever visit there in person, unless im flying into amsterdam airport for a transfer.

by no means is all dutch beer bad. but they have some horrible big brewing consortiums. i used to be able to get christoffel bier with their extremely unique bottles here, but havent seen it for a long time now.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
Bavaria is a rather nice pils from Holland when found in the can less than ~3 months old.

And speaking of excellent lagers at bargain prices.. anyone with an Aldi store nearby who hasn’t yet tried Wernesgruner really should. Check the date on the carton though and grab the freshest stuff you can since this comes in bottles which don’t stay pristine long.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Bavaria is a rather nice pils from Holland when found in the can less than ~3 months old.

And speaking of excellent lagers at bargain prices.. anyone with an Aldi store nearby who hasn’t yet tried Wernesgruner really should. Check the date on the carton though and grab the freshest stuff you can since this comes in bottles which don’t stay pristine long.

Around here the trick is to find it, the secret is out and it flies off the shelf at the local Aldi.

I found a 6 of König Pils that was well within it's end date. That was my go to Fernseherbier in Wiesbaden. Lovely when fresh. The pizza place had thsse ranked in my preference - König, Bitburger, Warsteiner. A fresh fass of König was so good.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

lol, likely won't ever visit there in person, unless im flying into amsterdam airport for a transfer.

by no means is all dutch beer bad. but they have some horrible big brewing consortiums. i used to be able to get christoffel bier with their extremely unique bottles here, but havent seen it for a long time now.

Likely due more to the importer than the brewery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster

It is great beer at a reasonable price. I like it and buy when I can.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Every time I pass an Aldi I rub my chin... Mmm, Wernesgruner! 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
This crazy place just prompted me to go to my local Aldi and pick up a twelver of Wernesgruner.  The best-by date was 12/24/2021.  That seems pretty decent. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Aldi's rules!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
They just built an Aldi about 15 minutes away. We’ve driven past and said we need to go in but we haven’t yet. Sounds like I need to change that soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
I like their pork loins

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
Unlike most German beers with a freshness date of 12 months, Wernesgrüner is 15 months which is retarded for a bottled beer. I've also got the 12/24/21 and the intense noble hop aroma is starting to fade. There are reports of 1/29/22 out there in the wild so good luck and happy date sorting!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:42:35 pm by Bilsch »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Gosh dang blue laws... We have an Aldi near me, but you can only buy beer in liquor stores in RI. I'll have to see if there are any near me in MA or CT...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Gosh dang blue laws... We have an Aldi near me, but you can only buy beer in liquor stores in RI. I'll have to see if there are any near me in MA or CT...
It has only been maybe ten years or so that MA supermarkets could sell beer and wine and as late comers to individual town liquor permit number limits and state corporate limits it is still unusual for a grocery store to sell liquor, beer, and wine. Luckily for me the little mom and pop grocery in my rural town started about a year ago selling beer and wine and recently expanded and have good variety, including a full line of Jack’s Abby and Von Trapp. I am getting familiar with them and will make a few specific requests.
I checked out an Aldi’s In Leominster MA a couple of years ago. It was actually pretty awful, I took it to be like a Walmart of grocery stores, cheap because of low quality.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
I can't help but think that this is a silly "debate". Don't like it? Don't buy it. Duh.

But more than that: keep in mind context. Here in Sacramento, after doing yard work all day in the summer, I'm not going to reach for a 6.5% hazy IPA or even a 5.5% pilsner to congratulate myself and feel refreshed. It's going to be a NAIL...or something I've brewed that's similar to a NAIL. Duh.

Sitting around the outdoor fireplace in the winter? I'll be sipping on an imperial stout, not a NAIL. Also duh.

Context people, context.