Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SHIPPING HOMEBREW TO COMPETITION  (Read 2326 times)

Offline JEFFSTEELE

• 1st Kit
SHIPPING HOMEBREW TO COMPETITION
« on: January 26, 2021, 01:10:39 pm »
Couple years ago I was going to ship some entries to a competition only to find out USPS, FedEx, & UPS won't allow alcohol to be shipped.  I was basically told you have to lie about the contents to get it shipped.  Is that still the case or is there a shipper out there that would deliver to competitions???

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
SHIPPING HOMEBREW TO COMPETITION
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 01:18:22 pm »
It’s only a lie if they ask you. My practice is to show up with a prepaid and preaddressed box that is labeled “Glassware” (which is truthful) and just drop it off. I’ve never been asked by UPS what was inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:21:34 pm by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: SHIPPING HOMEBREW TO COMPETITION
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »
It’s only a lie if they ask you. My practice is to show up with a prepaid and preaddressed box that is labeled “Glassware” (which is truthful) and just drop it off. I’ve never been asked by UPS what was inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even go that far.  I just say "gifts".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 03:17:20 pm »
I had a shipper that was authorized to ship alcohol via Fed Ex, but the cost was crazy high.  I just gave up sending to comps.  Now I just enter local competitions where I can drop off at my LHBS.  One thing to suggest if shipping, is to put each bottle in a ziplock bag and then pack as you would other glass items (bubble wrap, etc...).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 03:50:24 pm »
My understanding is there's a difference across US Postal Service, FedEx, and UPS (correct me anybody if this is outright wrong) - which is it's illegal to ship alcohol via USPS whereas it's policy of UPS and FedEx to not ship alcohol unless you're a licensed alcohol purveyor (not a violation of any law because they are private shipping services). FedEx and UPS can and presumably will refuse to ship a container known to them to contain alcohol. As others have said, I dodge the concern by using some partial fiction or omission of facts when declaring what's in the box. I pack bottles carefully to avoid possible breakage that would reveal the contents. It feels a little awkward to me when the ship-to address is a brewery, which is often the case for competitions, and in addition the address information the competition requires may contain indication that it's going to a competition. There are work-arounds one can figure out for this. If you want to bother, possible fictions here include saying you're shipping yeast samples or hops samples for evaluation. I've had FedEx staff basically give me a "wink and a nod" reaction when shipping in such cases - they satisfied their company's requirements for asking, I gave an answer, they and I know what's in the box, no further discussion.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 04:55:33 pm »
There are federal forms that you fill out, for the Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms folks. ATF.

No big deal. Sign and send. Simple.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:46:39 pm »
There are federal forms that you fill out, for the Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms folks. ATF.

Can you send a link to those forms?
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 07:21:29 am »
There are no special provisions or permissions for mailing alcohol via USPS. The USPS will not ship alcohol. Period. Refer to federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716). Or visit the link at USPS.com concerning nonmailable matter...

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_006.htm
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:47:41 pm by Kevin »
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:00:48 am »
I normally use UPS.  I completely agree with creating and purchasing the label online.  Then you just need to drop it off, no questions asked.  On the occasions when I took the package to the UPS store to have a label created, I always told them it contained water samples.  This made sense to me as the box was usually going to a homebrew shop.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 09:19:21 am »

This event is authorized by the TABC. All you need to do to be legal for shipping is print the BOL forms, and include it with the shipment.

http://www.bluebonnetbrewoff.org/

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 07:51:45 pm »

This event is authorized by the TABC. All you need to do to be legal for shipping is print the BOL forms, and include it with the shipment.

That sounds like a Texas thing.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 10:54:48 am »

That sounds like a Texas thing.

True, a Texas thing, and being fully approved by the State. But certainly the state you live in will have similar provisions allowing the shipment of beer for contest entry.

The legal option for shipment was coordinated by the event, being the Bluebonnet Brew Off. I would think that other BJCP events would take care of any problems regarding legal shipping.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:56:46 am by TXFlyGuy »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 10:45:32 am »
I send my brother in georgia flip tops of beer all the time through UPS. Just label it fragile. If they ask I tell them  collectibles or something like that

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 03:27:32 pm »
I send my brother in georgia flip tops of beer all the time through UPS. Just label it fragile. If they ask I tell them  collectibles or something like that

You can label it as Yeast Samples.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 07:44:04 pm »

You can label it as Yeast Samples.

Shipping companies became wise to that ruse long ago.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato