Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So. Many. Hops!  (Read 3150 times)

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
So. Many. Hops!
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:38:19 pm »
So, I have a garbage bag filled with freshly picked hops.  I've given away all I can.  I've got no way to dry them.  I need to use as much as I can in a brew session.  I have a 7.5 gal boil pot.  How would YOU blow thorough the hops?

My idea was to get as many hops into the pot as I sanely could, and then skim them out and replace them every 10 minutes.

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
Re: So. Many. Hops!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:10:26 pm »
I have never tried that but think it sounds delicious. you could do a few bews in the same day, or at least close to it, to help spread it out.
I think, I will try it for the first time very soon, all you need for drying is a box fan, some home heater filters and a bungie cord. It sound simple. fan blowing up, filter on to of fan, hops on the filter, another filter on top of hops, cord to hold it all in place. the fan blows through the filters and hops, drying them overnight. once again, I have not done this yet, but will soon.
You could also mail them to me if that would help :D

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:38:36 pm »
You dont have to dry them... you can vacuum pkg them and freeze....
Phoenix, AZ

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:21:23 am »
If you have any brews in the secondary you could always dry (or rather "wet") hop.

IIPA gives to the most hop consumption probably, hop it all along, in the mash, first wort hop it, add to boil, pass it through a rigged up hopback if you can and if you still got more throw another batch on!

You might even be able to make a hop tea, vacuum seal it and freeze it.

There seems to be differing opinions on freezing fresh hops, my brother advised against it so I did not try it.

Good luck and hoppy brewing!
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:13:44 am »
I wouldn't freeze undried hops for any extended period. There is moisture still locked in the cones that could cause them to rot, frozen or not.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:14:29 am »
I agree with Robert...not a great idea to freeze wet hops.

If you use them wet, remember the wet/dry ratio is about 4-5:1.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:28 am »
I wouldn't freeze undried hops for any extended period. There is moisture still locked in the cones that could cause them to rot, frozen or not.
Do you have a source for frozen things rotting?  What is causing them to rot?  If the water and enzymes are frozen, I don't see how it could be breaking down.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:57:38 am »
I don't know about rotting, but it seems like it would encourage freezer burn.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:05 am »
Bad choice of words. Freezer burn would have been better. Sorry.

And I'm sure for a short period it would be fine. But I know i couldn't use a garbage bag full of hops in a "short period".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:01:14 am by Robert »
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:23 am »
Ok, yeah, freezer burn.  Definitely a possibility with frozen fresh hops, I wouldn't hold onto them for too long.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »
I talked to a guy who once said he brewed a beer that tasted like freezer burn, so I was shying away from the whole freezing thing.  I think I'm gonna jam as many hops as I can in this kettle.  These are Willamettes, so I should be able to use a bunch of 'em.

FWH'd with 4oz, and going to add the same at 60.  Then I'll start getting crazy!