Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?

Yes, it's a major part of what I pay my dues for.
177 (63.4%)
No, this forum more than replaces what TT provides.
85 (30.5%)
Pantless, not clueless.
12 (4.3%)
I'm not an AHA member.
5 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 276

Author Topic: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?  (Read 25181 times)

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
Re: Should the AHA Keep TechTalk?
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:01 am »

Susan, I agree with you on a day to day basis.  But what about if you recall a topic in TT 6 months back that you want to re-read?  In that case, at least for me, it becomes much easier to search a forum than many back issues of TT.  And I know that because I've kept every TT going back for years so I could search for stuff.  It's quite unwieldy..at least for me.  But as you say, different people have different ways to retrieve and utilize info.  That's why we're working so hard to try to find a replacement/alternative for TT.  We're testing one of those now, and I hope we have good news for TT aficionados soon.

Denny - maybe that is another difference between the way people that prefer TT to those that prefer the forum - If I remember a topic - or want more info on it - I will just ask about it again - someone else will remember and give me the answer - also there are always new people watching who will benefit from bringing the topic up again.  I don't see a problem with this.  I don't save my TT's and if I did probably wouldn't go back and attempt to read thru them to find the info.  It is just easier to ask again.  This is one thing I do find slightly annoying about the forum - if someone does ask a question that was previously asked - they do seem to get chewed out by someone for not doing a search - not that everyone is impolite - but there is always one.  Maybe because TT was so easy to scan thru the topics and ignore those you aren't interested in no one cared if a question was asked a 2nd (or 3rd) time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:59:37 am by dbeechum »
Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58:11 am »
Before too many people go down the "weird" path - I'll point out the counter argument. TT had lower content volume, but the signal to noise ratio is/was much better on TT.

Yes, very much lower S/N on TT, but still, a very much lower post count in general.

Wouldn't a "better" S/N be "higher"? :)

As an audio guy, you think I'd get that right.... :-[
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2010, 11:01:01 am »
Denny - maybe that is another difference between the way people that prefer TT to those that prefer the forum - If I remember a topic - or want more info on it - I will just ask about it again - someone else will remember and give me the answer - also there are always new people watching who will benefit from bringing the topic up again.  I don't see a problem with this.  I don't save my TT's and if I did probably wouldn't go back and attempt to read thru them to find the info.  It is just easier to ask again.  This is one thing I do find slightly annoying about the forum - if someone does ask a question that was previously asked - they do seem to get chewed out by someone for not doing a search - not that everyone is impolite - but there is always one.  Maybe because TT was so easy to scan thru the topics and ignore those you aren't interested in no one cared if a question was asked a 2nd (or 3rd) time.

Again, that just points out that different people have different ways to retrieve and utilize info.  That's why we're so insistent on finding a solution that TT users can accept.   And I don't recall anyone getting flamed here for re-asking a question....not that it couldn't happen, but ion general, most people will just post a link to the previous question/answer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:55 am »
As an audio guy, you think I'd get that right.... :-[

Yes, but with you being a hippie, we don't expect that much.  ;D
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:25 am »
There's vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.  What's your favorite?

Everyone has a favorite and I can certainly respect that.  We are all different and set in our own unique ways.  Changing the way someone thinks or feels about their favorite things is an unlikely endeavor.

I think that's what it comes down to in regards to this issue.  Everyone has a favorite and most folks will probably remain firm in their comittment to those means. 

It would be great to see all of the regular users of TT join us here on the AHA Forum.  What the future holds for TT is something I can't answer, but it is my hope that one will at least keep the option of joining us here on the AHA Forum open.

Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:10 am »
There's vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.  What's your favorite?

Neopolitan :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline gisbrewmaster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2010, 02:08:13 pm »
I didn't care for TT cause I could follow the history of the tread without saving emails.  Some threads would go on for weeks.  I love the forums as I can pick a topic and read through the whole history. 

I also find it amusing that everyone is complaining that TT was much small and underused so its better.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2010, 04:20:43 pm »
So I didn't get Tech Talk on Monday the 30th, but did receive it in my email Tuesday the 31st.  That's the last I heard of it.  What happened?  I saw a reference to TT version 2, but so far nothing.  'Just wondering what I missed.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2010, 04:59:44 pm »
V2 will be a few weeks IIRC.  They're working on it, but V1 has been put to bed.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:55 am »
Yeah, we're still testing the server and software for V2.  AFAIK, there's no firm launch date...it'll go as soon as we're sure it'll work the way we want it to.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dragonsfire

• 1st Kit
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2010, 12:22:14 pm »
I doubt I would use this forum very much. The beauty of Tech Talk was being able to scan the Subjects and sse if there was any applicable interest for the individual.  I am not going to take the time to look through the Forum.
I like the Pimp my system stuff, but as someone who usually posts answers.  My questions go to my NASA engineer turned Brewmaster or my club, which has Chem professors,,,,etc.
Thanks it was fun.....
Silvy
SantaBarbeerians
Saving the World One Pint @ a Time

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2010, 02:02:24 pm »
There are instructions above on how to make it like techtalk.  Here goes.
1. Find "unread" in the upper right.  Click it.
2. Look at topics that you might be interested in, just like TT.  Hit the blue "new" button to see the latest post, or click on the title to see all.
3. When done hit 'Mark all as read".
4. Repeat the next time.

This makes it pretty darned quick, and you only sift through what you want.

All the people who don't like the forum might want to give it a chance.  It is a little dynamic, but even an old guy like me has gotten used to it.

I realized this weekend that I don't like texting on the phone, but some people like my sister-inlaw think that is the best way to communicate.  To each their own.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!