Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Have we had a conversation here about sauergut?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Have we had a conversation here about sauergut?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 03:13:37 pm »
One can have a grape flavor in the finished beer without sauergut. It has happened to me. It is a Welches grape juice flavor. I've picked up in Germany from time to time.

Acidulated malt is sprayed with sauergut, but it is not fresh.

The last time on the Ayinger tour I was standing in the back while under the new house. I got a whiff of something lactic. Turned around and there was the bioreactor.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 04:32:17 pm »
Apologies if I missed the answer is it was posted here, but saurgut is essentially just a lactic fermented beer, right? Would a kettle-sour Berliner Weisse style beer that was inoculated with a handful of Pils malt be in the ballpark? I don't think I'd make saurgut just for the sake of saurgut, but if I had some lactic sour beer laying around I'd possibly consider adding some to my mash instead of lactic acid as a pH adjustment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 05:09:49 pm »
Apologies if I missed the answer is it was posted here, but saurgut is essentially just a lactic fermented beer, right? Would a kettle-sour Berliner Weisse style beer that was inoculated with a handful of Pils malt be in the ballpark? I don't think I'd make saurgut just for the sake of saurgut, but if I had some lactic sour beer laying around I'd possibly consider adding some to my mash instead of lactic acid as a pH adjustment.

SG is made from unhopped wort soured with lactobacillus but there are no yeast involved and therefore it's non alcoholic. Sauergut is also quite a bit higher in acid content then a typical sour beer otherwise you'd have to add a lot of it for pH control.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:31 pm »

SG is made from unhopped wort soured with lactobacillus but there are no yeast involved and therefore it's non alcoholic. Sauergut is also quite a bit higher in acid content then a typical sour beer otherwise you'd have to add a lot of it for pH control.
What is the pH of a typical Sauergut? A bracingly tart lambic gets down to the low 3's
Eric B.

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 08:46:42 pm »
What is the pH of a typical Sauergut? A bracingly tart lambic gets down to the low 3's

Also in the low 3's but it's not about the pH, it's the titratable acidity that makes the difference.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 06:24:06 am »

Softdrinks like Coke have a pH of 2.5, phosphoric acid is used.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2021, 10:19:11 am »
I have two 1-pound bags of Weyermann Acidulated malt.  I opened one just now and took a whiff... no real smell.  Then I popped a couple kernels in my mouth.  No real flavor.  It tasted like pilsner malt.  Should it be wickedly sour or something?  If so, then it's either been packaged improperly or else it's old (I probably ordered this sometime in the past 12 months).  Does this sound right?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2021, 11:39:36 am »

Also in the low 3's but it's not about the pH, it's the titratable acidity that makes the difference.
Not trying to be argumentative, but wouldn't the TA be similar between two liquids at the same pH if the primary acid is the same (i.e., lactic acid in this case)? Am I missing something else that distinguishes a sauergut from other lacto-soured beers?
Eric B.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 01:53:53 pm »
From what I understand there’s a certain grape flavor characteristic that comes from sauergut that the home brewers are looking for. I drank a bunch of beer in Germany and I don’t recall ever tasting grapes but these guys say it’s a key characteristic so what do I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 05:47:40 pm »
I have two 1-pound bags of Weyermann Acidulated malt.  I opened one just now and took a whiff... no real smell.  Then I popped a couple kernels in my mouth.  No real flavor.  It tasted like pilsner malt.  Should it be wickedly sour or something?  If so, then it's either been packaged improperly or else it's old (I probably ordered this sometime in the past 12 months).  Does this sound right?

My Weyermann acid malt is noticeably tart and flavorful even if you just chew two or three kernels.  You wouldn't mistake it for pilsner mat.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 09:30:06 pm »

My Weyermann acid malt is noticeably tart and flavorful even if you just chew two or three kernels.  You wouldn't mistake it for pilsner mat.
That's weird.  Maybe it needs to be used quickly?  I dunno but I will probably bail on this and order some new acid malt and see if there is a difference.  Thanks for the reply. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.