Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing programs  (Read 3040 times)

Offline bellbar63

• 1st Kit
Brewing programs
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
I am looking for and brewing programs or courses in or around Omaha, Nebraska. Any University or tech colleges? Does any one have any ideas??

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Brewing programs
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:00:53 pm »
are you wanting to learn how to brew? 

i'd recommend the complete joy of homebrewing by charlie papazian, how to brew by john palmer and the basic brewing videos.

good luck on your search!

cheers.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:53 pm »
I am looking for and brewing programs or courses in or around Omaha, Nebraska. Any University or tech colleges? Does any one have any ideas??

Few and far between dude.  I don't know specifics, but one of the University of California schools have a good program.  And there's a private school in the midwest, that books years in advance.......   

Most folks learn by doing.  Check out the podcasts at www.thebrewingnetwork.com 

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:51:03 am »
Bellbar - are you looking for homebrewing guidance or a more structured program directed towards commercial brewing?  I either case, I concur with previous recommendations.  Go grab John Palmer's How to Brew (link below) and start there.

http://shop.beertown.org/brewers/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=How+To+Brew+by+John+Palmer&pf_id=3100_494&dept_id=3107

Learning the basics will apply in any case and his book is a great stair-step approach to brewing. 

If you are looking for more than homebrewing, I'd at least look into Siebel (http://www.siebelinstitute.com/) and their on-line courses to start.  They also offer a cool homebrew class a couple times a year.

Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:09 am »
The podcasts at Basic Brewing are good, too.

http://basicbrewing.com/
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »
First get in touch with the local homebrew clubs.  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-club.
There are several in Lincoln and Omaha.  The most active one in the area would be the Lincoln Lagers (www.lincolnlagers.org) but you may also want to check with the Railroaders or the Omahops if you want to stay in Omaha.  Many of the clubs offer workshops/classes now and then and can also alert you to ones run by other organizations.  For example, this past weekend, the Lincoln  Lagers ran a very informative hands on workshop on mead making.

You may also want to try online resources.  One of the best places to start would be the forums, live internet radio, and podcasts at www.thebrewingnetwork.com.  Here you can network with some of the best homebrewers and craft brewers in the country and get leads to all sorts of educational resources as well as learning more on brewing directly from those folks.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »
I think there is a 'BrewU' in VT that is predominantly online distance learning with two internships at commercial breweries. My bro went there and landed a job with one of the breweries he interned for. Let me know if your interested and I'll try to get you some more info.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline bellbar63

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:11 am »
Thanks guys for the info, I will take all the info I can....