Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on Spike Solo. What size to buy and general experience.  (Read 1001 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
I am about ready to pull the trigger on an electric system.  After doing a ton of research, I think I have settled on a Spike Solo system.  I am looking for a little feedback.

1)  I mostly brew 5 gallon batches but occasionally I brew with family and want to brew 10 gallons.  Because of this I was leaning towards the 20 gallon system.  They say that system can brew batches from 5-10 gallons.  I am wondering if anyone has an experience brewing 5 gallons on the 20 gallon system.   

2) What are your general experiences on the Spike solo system?  Do you like it?  Are you happy with the purchase?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
I personally would go with the 20-gallon system.  That will allow you to do a full-volume mash on 5-gallon batches with room to spare.  A Full-volume mash is going to be tight with a 10-gallon kettle, even with 5-gallon batches.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
Since you will probably be doing a full volume mash the answer is yes, the Spike Solo 20gal system will mash a 5gal batch. And since you say you might be doing 10 gallon batches occasionally the answer to whether you should get the 20gal system is yes, yes, and yes.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato