Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feedback on Keg Land dual temperature controller?  (Read 830 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Feedback on Keg Land dual temperature controller?
« on: January 29, 2021, 01:20:17 pm »
I've been looking at dual temperature controllers. Temps can swing widely in this region (e.g. 50-degree) and I'd like to plug in both the fridge and the Brewer's Edge space heater and stop fiddling with DIP switches and switching plugs on my Johnson A419. I'm considering the Inkbird but noticed this on Williams Brewing:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Equipment/Fermentation-Equipment/Temperature-Control/Keg-Land-Dual-Plug-Control

Anyone use it and like it? Looks simple to use. FYI, my only hesitation about the Inkbird product line is the reliability issues brought up here on the Forum.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Feedback on Keg Land dual temperature controller?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
That unit looks suspiciously like an Inkbird controller installed into a project box.  For the price you can buy 3 inkbird control units and wire them to an outlet and project box yourself.  Build 1 and have 2 spare controller units to replace if you have a failure.  I'd be willing to bet that the Williams unit lasts about the same amount of time as a DIY version.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 07:06:59 am »
The Inkbird controller looks like a more polished product at a much lower price.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 07:09:46 am »
What Brewer's Edge is calling a space heater is little more than a repurposed reptile heat pad.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:24:25 am »
What Brewer's Edge is calling a space heater is little more than a repurposed reptile heat pad.

Good point, though at the time I bought it several years ago I didn't know reptile heat pads existed. I don't attach the space heater -- I lean it against a fridge wall. It does its thing well. I've heard of people mounting them with velcro or attaching to a removable panel or some other nonpermanent means.

Thanks to others for the comments re the Inkbird vs Keg Land. The failsafe would be the Johnson controller. I've had it for around five years and it's a tank.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member