Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extra Vienna...Uses? AIPA?  (Read 5441 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Extra Vienna...Uses? AIPA?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 04:58:53 am »
What mantra?  Certainly not mine.  You mash to achieve the wort composition you want.  German brewers step mash all the time.

I sometimes use a 131F rest to aid in clarity with continental malts. I'm mashing in the mid-140s to get a fermentable wort, with a short rest at 158F to get a little body.  Mashout for efficiency.

The point is to not have an IPA with a heavy body.  I didn't recommend using sugar so I'm suggesting mashing for fermentability.  Remember the original post; using Vienna in an IPA.  I'm suggesting that the maltiness will make it seem fuller bodied so to mash low to constrain that character.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 08:27:13 am »
I'm suggesting that the maltiness will make it seem fuller bodied so to mash low to constrain that character.

precisely.  and richardt, if you don't want to do a step mash, i'd recommend 147-8df single infusion for the purpose of maximixing fermentability.  
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:30 pm »
If I was to is no more than 50% vienna along with Marris Otter, would you still recommend a step mash?

Thanks.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 02:16:28 pm »
Yes
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 10:57:24 am »
Gordon, are you saying that you recommend a step mash with Vienna in general?  In what circumstances do you recommend step mashes?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:20 am »
Not to inundate you with questions, Gordon, but could you describe the benefits of step mashing beyond issues regarding beer clarity?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:36:42 pm »
Just for kicks... It would be interesting to taste the results of a single infusion mash around 148ish vs.  Gordon's proposed step mash.

Any takers?   ;D
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:56 am »
I've done it in the past, which is how I began questioning the benefits of a step mash.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 03:58:14 pm »
I do not know.
I am a believer of step mashes and decoctions.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:53 pm »
I do not know.
I am a believer of step mashes and decoctions.

If you believe they work, you should do them.  I've been unable to convince myself.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:13 pm »
I'll just throw another 'pro' to the Vienna-in-IPA category.  I did a 60/40, 2-Row/Vienna IPA last summer that was awesome - need to do that one again actually.

I do remember the boil looking like egg-drop soup from what I'm guessing were the proteins from the Vienna, so I just might try a step-mash next time.  Even using US-O5, my beer ended up clear after 2-3 weeks in the keg, but couldn't hurt to get more of the proteins out early.