Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weihenstephaner Non-alcoholic  (Read 1142 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Weihenstephaner Non-alcoholic
« on: October 22, 2021, 08:11:19 pm »
I made a trip to Yankee Spirits today, and during my hour or so of browsing I discovered (among other things) a rather extensive N/A beer selection, including quite a few imports. When I saw the Weihenstephaner I had to try it.

First of all, nothing on the packaging indicates what style of beer it was. I assumed it would be something along the lines of a helles. I was taken off guard as I took my first sip. It had quite a bit of lactic tang. And then I picked up some banana. A quick Google search confirmed my suspicions - this is an N/A hefeweizen. It's labeled hefeweissbier in Germany, but just non-alcoholic malt beverage in the US. That's really odd to me.

Now that I've reset my flavor expectations, this is undoubtedly the best take on an N/A beer I've had to date. There is no underattenuated or worty flavor whatsoever. The tartness and ester profile cover everything perfectly. There is a good amount of malt flavor as well. The body is slightly on the thin side, but otherwise you probably pass this off as their regular hefe to someone and not get caught most of the time.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Weihenstephaner Non-alcoholic
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:47:59 am »
This is good to know, thanks for posting. German hefeweizen is among my faves.

So far, my kitchen sink's drain has consumed far more N/A "beers" than I have. They are generally disgusting. O'Doul's is the only one I find remotely palatable. I'll keep a lookout for this N/A hef and give it a try if I can find it in my area.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:21:22 pm »

So far, my kitchen sink's drain has consumed far more N/A "beers" than I have. They are generally disgusting. O'Doul's is the only one I find remotely palatable. I'll keep a lookout for this N/A hef and give it a try if I can find it in my area.

Coors NA won a Gold at the GABF.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:05:33 pm »

Have you tried the ones from Athletic?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 04:55:03 pm »

I have not. I'm gun-shy at this point. I have dumped so many six packs of N/A beer down the drain, and wasted a lot of money, that I'm afraid to buy any new ones. Any Athletic ones stand out? I certainly willing to spend money on them if they are palatable to those who know beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 06:04:51 pm »

I have not. I'm gun-shy at this point. I have dumped so many six packs of N/A beer down the drain, and wasted a lot of money, that I'm afraid to buy any new ones. Any Athletic ones stand out? I certainly willing to spend money on them if they are palatable to those who know beer.
Their IPAs are the ones I enjoy the best, although I have their stout in the fridge waiting to try. Their beers do have a bit of an underattenuated/worty flavor,  but the hops mask it well. The Run Wild is ok, the Free Wave Hazy IPA is good, but their Two Trellis line (limited release 2-hop combos) are the best of theirs that I've had.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 06:58:12 pm »

Their IPAs are the ones I enjoy the best, although I have their stout in the fridge waiting to try. Their beers do have a bit of an underattenuated/worty flavor,  but the hops mask it well. The Run Wild is ok, the Free Wave Hazy IPA is good, but their Two Trellis line (limited release 2-hop combos) are the best of theirs that I've had.

In the time since my last comment, I got my hands on three Athletic beers: oktoberfest, cerveza atletica, and free wave hazy. The hazy is definitely the best of the bunch...but still kind of meh. The oktoberfest is gross, very worty tasting. The cerveza atletica doesn't have that worty flavor...or any flavor at all, really. It's rather flavorless. (EDIT: upon further sips, it does have that worty flavor and is also gross.)

The search continues. Although, I have realized that I have to greatly lower my expectations for craft N/A beers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:14:06 pm by RC »