Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Pilsner Urquell  (Read 4577 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Let's Talk About Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 03:46:49 pm »
Bitte ein Bit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 04:47:08 pm »
I've never seen Pilsner Urquell in cans, and wish I could find it that way.  But as it stands, the light brown bottled PU that started showing up ballpark 4-5 years ago is mighty good beer. A big step up from the old green bottles.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 08:52:18 am »
I just looked at the local grocery and they had green glass bottles in regular six pack holders. There was not complete coverage over the bottles as I imagine the ones Denny gets has.

Bummer I was going to look. You can get Bittburger in 16oz can in a few places.

Trader Joe's for one.  Its a summer staple for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 10:14:57 am »
We’re supposed to be getting a Trader Joe’s here in Huntspatch so maybe we can get it then.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/10/trader-joes-already-under-construction-at-midcity-district-in-huntsville.html

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 10:30:20 am »
I see it in cans, 16 oz 4 packs here and there and get it when I can. A big package store that I can get deliveries from carries it and I got a case of cans this past fall. I love it. A place near my father in law who lives on a lake has PU, bitburger, konig and other imports in cans. Great beers to take on a kayak ride.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 12:42:02 pm »
I see it in cans, 16 oz 4 packs here and there and get it when I can. A big package store that I can get deliveries from carries it and I got a case of cans this past fall. I love it. A place near my father in law who lives on a lake has PU, bitburger, konig and other imports in cans. Great beers to take on a kayak ride.

I would love to see König in cans.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 04:13:32 pm »
I had not bothered with Pilsner Urquell (PU) for at least a decade until recently because it was pretty much guaranteed to be skunked.  I went beer hunting after I moved house.  I saw it in regular 6-pack cartons at a beer store that keeps the lights off in the part of cooler where they store green bottle imports.  I immediately congratulated the owner for keeping the lights off in that section.  He said, "It is the darndest thing.  I turned the lights off to keep the beer from getting lightstruck only to have people tell me that Heineken from that cooler does not taste right."   I almost could not contain myself.  It appears that Americans are used to green and clear bottle beer having eau de skunk.  Corona is the most skunked beer on the planet.  Promoting putting a slice of lemon in the bottle was sheer marketing genius because the slice of lemon adds flavor to an otherwise bland beer and its acidity neutralizes 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol.

Anyway, while the light brown bottle is better than the old green bottle, PU should ship the beer in dark brown glass or switch to cans only on this side of the pond. I recently found PU in sealed 12-pack cartons at a different beer store, but not sealed 6-pack cartons.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 02:31:07 pm »
There is a local grocery store that is a Midwest chain and is employee owned - it consistently has 4 cans (.5 liter) for 4.99 for both PU and Paulaner (5.99 when no sale in place); plus it has Konig, Radeberger, BitBurger, and many others in 12 pack cans (11.2 oz), with one on sale usually for 12.99.  The only draw back is that the PU is often left out in the aisle warm...it is a grocery store unfortunately.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 06:15:49 pm »
The unfiltered unpasteurized version straight from the wooden Lagering vessel was one of the best beers I've ever had.

I agree. We toured the brewery, and we were given beer straight from the lager tank. This beer is not sold, only brewed for the guests at the brewery. Both my father and I agreed, best beer we had ever had.

I now buy Pilsner Urquell in 1/4 bbl kegs. You can get a fresh one, and it is very good.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 06:17:30 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 09:02:04 pm »

Bitte ein Bit!

i dont get the love from some people for bitburger on here. to me its the definition of a macrobrewed non-regional german pils. its really meh to me.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 10:07:02 pm »

Bitte ein Bit!

i dont get the love from some people for bitburger on here. to me its the definition of a macrobrewed non-regional german pils. its really meh to me.
I agree. I enjoyed the Hausbrauerei over the National brands.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 06:22:46 am »
It's all subjective. This is why we normally buy Pilsner Urquell in 1/4 bbl kegs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 07:39:41 am »

Bitte ein Bit!

I love it.  If you don't, don't drink it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 08:12:09 am »
I feel the at large American HomeBrew Community thinks that Bit is the example to follow for a top shelf German beer.

I agree it can be compared to our National brands in that even though it is well made, it is not the best example of what German brewers can and do bring to market. This is much like some of the local and/or craft brewers in America bring better beer to the table than BMC.  Likewise, some are not that great. I’ll drink BMC and even Bit but I don’t kid myself into thinking it’s top shelf.

In my opinion, which is worth every penny paid, an American Homebrewer learning to brew the German national brands would be comparable to a German Hobbybrauer learning to brew BMC beers thinking they’re the best example of American styles. If that’s your thing have at it. Just don’t set either on a beer pedestal as some sort of best example as some seem to do. I believe there are a lot better beers to be found from the Hausbrauerei and/or Privatbrauerei.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 08:57:38 am »
I feel the at large American HomeBrew Community thinks that Bit is the example to follow for a top shelf German beer.

I agree it can be compared to our National brands in that even though it is well made, it is not the best example of what German brewers can and do bring to market. This is much like some of the local and/or craft brewers in America bring better beer to the table than BMC.  Likewise, some are not that great. I’ll drink BMC and even Bit but I don’t kid myself into thinking it’s top shelf.

In my opinion, which is worth every penny paid, an American Homebrewer learning to brew the German national brands would be comparable to a German Hobbybrauer learning to brew BMC beers thinking they’re the best example of American styles. If that’s your thing have at it. Just don’t set either on a beer pedestal as some sort of best example as some seem to do. I believe there are a lot better beers to be found from the Hausbrauerei and/or Privatbrauerei.

I don't drink it because I think it's the prime example of German beer.  I drink it because I like it.

www.dennybrew.com