Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: breakfast cereal mash  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Okie-doked420

• 1st Kit
breakfast cereal mash
« on: January 31, 2021, 11:55:21 am »
I've heard you can use lots off kinds of cereal in your mash I'm gonna try out rice crisps I've never used cereal I could use all the tips I canGet

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: breakfast cereal mash
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:58:26 am »
Following

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:22:13 pm »
I've heard you can use lots off kinds of cereal in your mash I'm gonna try out rice crisps I've never used cereal I could use all the tips I canGet

A craft brewery near me uses Fruity Pebbles cereal in a beer. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great but interesting at the same time. I'm interested to hear some feedback from members who use cereal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 12:44:18 pm »
I once ran a comp where breakfast cereal we given to the competitors.  Honey Nut Cheerios,  Froot Loops, Count Chocula and one I can't remember.  Based on the beers that came out, I'd say using cereal ranges from a gimmick with no effect to a bad idea.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 12:49:32 pm »
I once ran a comp where breakfast cereal we given to the competitors.  Honey Nut Cheerios,  Froot Loops, Count Chocula and one I can't remember.  Based on the beers that came out, I'd say using cereal ranges from a gimmick with no effect to a bad idea.
Lol

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 01:16:58 pm »

So a marketing plan using deceptive advertising and certain hops to obtain the fruitiness that unsuspecting clients think are actually coming from, say Froot Loops?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:26:46 pm »
I recall the guys at Basic Brewing doing something like this.  Kinda goofy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »
I've also wondered about using pretzels as well.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 01:40:25 pm »

Aren't Rice Crispies basically torrified rice?
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »

Aren't Rice Crispies basically torrified rice?

Not exactly. They have salt, sugar, and malt flavoring.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 01:48:17 pm »

So a marketing plan using deceptive advertising and certain hops to obtain the fruitiness that unsuspecting clients think are actually coming from, say Froot Loops?

Definitely a marketing thing.  Can't say about the rest, other than in my experience the cereal added no flavor (unless you count bad flavor!)

www.dennybrew.com

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 02:19:59 pm »
Shredded wheat is 100% wheat with a small amount of BHT added which probably doesn't affect anything. There's also oatmeal. In the interest of being impartial I will reserve any further comments or opinions. :)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 07:02:48 pm »
I recall a couple instances where first Kix cereal (corn puffs) was used and another where popped popcorn (air popped) were used in the mash with not much difference from flaked maize and they had to use a huge amount to equal a couple pounds of flaked maize.  But give it a try if you want.  Something to do....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:12 am »

Agree. Bad idea. Very bad.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2021, 08:08:31 am »
Shredded wheat is 100% wheat with a small amount of BHT added which probably doesn't affect anything. There's also oatmeal. In the interest of being impartial I will reserve any further comments or opinions. :)

Something neutral like that would likely work.  But those aren't the kinds of cereals 99% of homebrewers have in mind when this question gets asked.

www.dennybrew.com