Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spent Grain as Fiber Supplement  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Mt Brew Man

• 1st Kit
Spent Grain as Fiber Supplement
« on: February 03, 2021, 08:53:34 am »
Hello All,

I've looked at a few posts here about spent grain. Seems fairly common to use as an ingredient in bread and cookies. I guess one could use it for other recipes as well. But, I got to thinking last week, could spent grain be a good source as a fiber supplement? I take a fiber supplement every day. So, I thought if this were possible I could not only save a little money but also repurpose something that usually gets thrown out in the woods. I've done very little research on this subject so far, but have found articles where studies have been done and there were mentions as to its health benefits.

My question is, has anyone here at this forum ever tried to use spent grain as a fiber supplement? I suppose it would have to be well dried out and ground up quite a bit so it would be water-soluble.

Anyway, look forward to any comments you may have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Spent Grain as Fiber Supplement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 09:28:13 am »
There are much more pleasant fiber supplements
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:18:58 am »
Fried chicken salad with ranch is a great source!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:01:16 pm »
A pot of ham hocks & beans is a great source for fiber, and right tasty too.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 02:38:09 pm »
The soluble fiber in barley comes from the beta-glucans. I'm pretty sure that the bulk of these are extracted and/or broken down during the mash. What is left in the husk is primarily insoluble fiber. It would certainly make for some interesting trips to the toilet, and probably a lot of gas as well. It is probably not my top choice as a fiber supplement.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Mt Brew Man

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:54:10 am »
Well, I'm glad you all have a great sense of humor. I needed a good laugh this morning...  ;D

How 'bout this one... Sauteed Greenbriar root with a flower salad on the side! Would you believe people really do eat that? To tell the truth, I've considered trying it, just so I can say I did.  :o

Anyway, I still think it's possible to do something with the spent grains as a source of fiber. It just may take a bit more effort than it'd be worth. Keep in mind, most of the fiber supplements from the local grocery store are made from Psyllium husks. Heck! why not barely husk with some kernels mixed in?

Just food for thought! Yeah, pun intended!  ;)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 03:19:01 pm »
I just eat random weeds off the street.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 04:59:15 pm »
Cue Cliff Clavin.....beer and pretzels!!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:52 am »
Anyway, I still think it's possible to do something with the spent grains as a source of fiber. It just may take a bit more effort than it'd be worth. Keep in mind, most of the fiber supplements from the local grocery store are made from Psyllium husks. Heck! why not barely husk with some kernels mixed in?

Just food for thought! Yeah, pun intended!  ;)
FYI - Psyllium husks primarily contain a water-soluble polysaccharide as a source of soluble fiber. Unfortunately, you can't extrapolate that to other seed varieties. If barley husks made a decent fiber supplement, then I'm pretty sure you'd see it available commercially. And it would probably be used in cereals and other foods. It would be far more cost effective to use what is already produced by the tons in the US as agricultural waste, rather than an imported plant material grown in Europe and Asia.

But it's your colon. Let us know how it goes if you give this a try.  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Mt Brew Man

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 08:26:02 am »
You know, I wouldn't have thought this topic could be cause to so many quippy retorts. But, when you think about it, whenever future flatulence is discussed, well, I guess you just got to laugh...  :D

Okay, so I've been reading up a bit and haven't found anything conclusive yet. There's actually quite a lot of info out there though. Seems it's been discussed for many years now. I'm going to keep searching in hopes of finding a recipe, so to speak, that defines a process for making the spent grain into something that can be used as a fiber supplement. I'll keep you all posted on that. might be a while though. In the meantime, here's a link to a few articles on the subject if you're interested. A lot of it is sort of scientific lingo, but you can get the gist of it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28833108/

Offline Mt Brew Man

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 08:37:23 am »
Hey all,

Just found this article you might find interesting...

https://www.brewsnews.com.au/2020/03/10/grainstone-turns-spent-grain-into-flour/