Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: please convince me to try nottingham again (or dont)  (Read 3668 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: please convince me to try nottingham again (or dont)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 04:44:24 pm »
I'm late to the party, but...

I just declared Notty as my favorite yeast for APA.  And pretty darn good for just about any ale, for that matter.

So I obviously support anybody who wants to try to use it.

Yes I know they suffered quality control problems for a year or two, this was like 10 or 15 years ago.  But that was temporary.  It's been a really solid performer other than that.  Very consistent attenuation of 77-78%, every single time, regardless of grist or mash parameters or anything else.  Just very consistent, and clean mild esters.  A hint of peach if fermented in the 50s F.  US-05 seems to do that too.

im planning on using 2 or 3 packets of nottingham in a high OG brew.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 03:46:01 am »
Would Nottingham fermented at around 60 degrees F. be a decent dry yeast to attempt for the Scotch Ale ("Wee Heavy") style (as a sub for WY1728)?

Notty will be good in a Scotch ale.  However I would ferment warmer, at least 63 F, to avoid a peach ester which would be weird in a Scotch ale.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 03:46:44 am »

I just declared Notty as my favorite yeast for APA.  And pretty darn good for just about any ale, for that matter.

Yes I know they suffered quality control problems for a year or two, this was like 10 or 15 years ago.  But that was temporary.  It's been a really solid performer other than that.  Very consistent attenuation of 77-78%, every single time, regardless of grist or mash parameters or anything else.  Just very consistent, and clean mild esters.  A hint of peach if fermented in the 50s F.  US-05 seems to do that too.

Notty will quit fermenting at about 9% ABV in my experience.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline breezybrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 06:03:16 am »
Hate it. It strips all the nuanced malt character from the beer. Also has a tart quality that's not enjoyable except in a Cider. You can Google this experience with other brewers. I have used it in about a half dozen brews and gave up. One batch had 72 hour lag time. I have been brewing for 9 years total.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 07:16:24 am »

Notty will quit fermenting at about 9% ABV in my experience.

good to note. thanks. i think im aiming at just under that.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 05:07:41 pm »
Now that we are becoming made aware that (for example) WLP-800 is genetically an ale yeast, many formerly true Lagers by this standard must apparently now be reclassified as pseudo.   

I may be wrong, but I believe that that culture came from a mixed culture.  Up until Emil Hansen isolated Carlsberg Unterhere No. 1, lager, like ale, was fermented with mixed cultures that were bottom cropped.  I believe that up until the Berlin Wall fell, Pilsner Urquell fermented with a multi-strain culture that may have contained one or more cold-tolerant Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains in addition to several Saccharomyces pastorianus strains.  That is why there are so many cultures that claim to be Pilsner Urquell's strain. They exist because people performed single-cell isolation on a mixed culture.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:27:12 pm by Saccharomyces »