Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lutra Kveik  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Lutra Kveik
« on: February 06, 2021, 12:29:30 pm »
Anybody have any experience with this yeast?

Looking for some info on a starter, Package says good for 5 gallons was thinking of experimenting and just pitching

Using it for an Anchor Steam beer clone

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Lutra Kveik
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 01:21:34 pm »
I pitched in 1 pack for 10 gallons of a 1.056 Pale Ale. I had read Kveik strains like plenty of nutrients and FAN, so the usual amount of Wyeast nutrient was used plus 1 tsp of DAP. It started fairly fast, finished quickly, and was clean.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 01:54:50 pm »
How did it taste?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 02:49:11 pm »
I don't detect any off flavors from the yeast. The beer was a SMaSH of Mecca Grade Lamonta and Zappa hops. The Zappa hops are strong with a whole lot of stuff going on, they dominate. Zappa is a Neomexicanus hop.

I've made this same type of beer with other hops at the same rate. Zappa steals the show.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 02:51:11 pm »
Nice!! I just went ahead and pitched the pack. I ussually no chill but decided to chill and pitch. let you know how it turns out.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:52 pm »
I pitched in 1 pack for 10 gallons of a 1.056 Pale Ale. I had read Kveik strains like plenty of nutrients and FAN, so the usual amount of Wyeast nutrient was used plus 1 tsp of DAP. It started fairly fast, finished quickly, and was clean.

In the winter?  I am saving these strains for when it is almost impossible to ferment without mechanical attemperation.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 04:14:02 pm »
My ferm chamber is currently cold crashing and I wanted to test my new Anvil Foundry out!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 04:32:42 pm »

In the winter?  I am saving these strains for when it is almost impossible to ferment without mechanical attemperation.
Late fall, still warmish, temperature controlled to about 85F.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 07:11:10 pm »
Airlock activity  in 5 hours

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 11:18:44 am »
Airlock activity  in 5 hours

Yea, the Kveik are quick starters.  They are typically done quickly, too (2-3 days often).  I made a 3-day Vienna Lager with the Kveik strain and it turned out pretty well (I racked it off and cold crashed/conditioned in keg for another week).  No one could guess that it wasn't a lager strain.  It mellowed further with a few weeks of conditioning in keg.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 04:35:30 pm »
I just brewed a batch two days ago to try it out myself. 3.5 gallons of 1.044, 100% Avengard Pils malt wort got 1 pack of Lutra that I didn't realize was 6 months old until it was time to pitch. That didn't seem to matter since my spunding valve was pegged at 18PSI and bleeding off when I woke up the next morning. This is sitting in my 68F ambient dining room and chugging away nicely. I'm very interested in seeing how this works with my Motueka Pils recipe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 05:12:48 pm »
I just brewed a batch two days ago to try it out myself. 3.5 gallons of 1.044, 100% Avengard Pils malt wort got 1 pack of Lutra that I didn't realize was 6 months old until it was time to pitch. That didn't seem to matter since my spunding valve was pegged at 18PSI and bleeding off when I woke up the next morning. This is sitting in my 68F ambient dining room and chugging away nicely. I'm very interested in seeing how this works with my Motueka Pils recipe.

That of old yeast but still very usable plus the quick fermentation and a nice range of temp for fermentation it is what make kveik wonderful, sadly for me they flavor and aroma are not compatible with my beers, but I'm gonna try some farmhouse with it

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 05:32:56 pm »

Sorry to drift. Do you get any coconut from motueka? I have an “imperial pils” on now with sterling and motueka that has distinct coconut thing I don’t care for along with lemon/lime citrus.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 05:37:28 pm »
Pulled a sample after 4 days very clean tasting but I'm getting a slight Diacetyl taste for some reason

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 09:12:12 pm »

Sorry to drift. Do you get any coconut from motueka? I have an “imperial pils” on now with sterling and motueka that has distinct coconut thing I don’t care for along with lemon/lime citrus.

I've never gotten coconut from Motueka, or Sterling for that matter. I get bit of spicy hops and a whole lot of lime zest from Motueka. Sterling gives me spice, sometimes a bit of floral, and lemonade at higher utilization rates.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer