Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lutra Kveik  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Lutra Kveik
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 12:23:25 pm »

I pitched in 1 pack for 10 gallons of a 1.056 Pale Ale. I had read Kveik strains like plenty of nutrients and FAN, so the usual amount of Wyeast nutrient was used plus 1 tsp of DAP. It started fairly fast, finished quickly, and was clean.

In the winter?  I am saving these strains for when it is almost impossible to ferment without mechanical attemperation.

Lutra still goes like a rocket at 67F in my experience. Pretty easy to find a spot that's above that. The more I think about it makes it seem like a super charged US05.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 12:42:53 pm »

I pitched in 1 pack for 10 gallons of a 1.056 Pale Ale. I had read Kveik strains like plenty of nutrients and FAN, so the usual amount of Wyeast nutrient was used plus 1 tsp of DAP. It started fairly fast, finished quickly, and was clean.

In the winter?  I am saving these strains for when it is almost impossible to ferment without mechanical attemperation.

Lutra still goes like a rocket at 67F in my experience. Pretty easy to find a spot that's above that. The more I think about it makes it seem like a super charged US05.

I stuck it in our little mechanical room where our forced air heat is. It hovered around 68-71 in there and it took off nicely

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 08:48:18 pm »
I kegged my Lutra "Pils" yesterday, then chilled and carbed it up overnight. It's pretty hazy still, but having drinkable beer on tap 6 days after brewing is a neat trick.

First impression is that this is a relatively clean yeast, but I wouldn't mistake it as a lager. There's a faint ester I'm picking up that is something like sweet pineapple, and a slight slickness or fullness in the mouthfeel like I get from WY3711. I'll withhold making a final judgment until it has some time to clear. I like it so far, but I think I'd probably use it for a pale ale or fruit beer rather than a pale lager next time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 04:38:46 am »
Yea I got almost a tropical aroma off of it. I dry hopped it and it's getting kegged tonight.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 05:48:59 am »
FWIW, I’d let it condition in the keg a week or so before passing final judgment.  Just my 2 cents.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
FWIW, I’d let it condition in the keg a week or so before passing final judgment.  Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip. I will try my best to leave it alone for another week or so and come back to it with a fresh palate.

In your experience, does the haze clear out quickly? I tend to use time more often than fining to clear my beers up, but since this intended to be a quick turnaround beer I'm tempted to hit it with some gelatin.
Eric B.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 11:00:20 am »
Have y'all had a slight Diacetyl taste with it?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 01:27:36 pm »
I cold crashed and it was clear in a week, then hit its stride within a week after (but that was just when I followed up with tasting it critically).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 11:49:47 am »
I had very detectable concentrations of Diacetyl in this beer. I did not have any nutrient on hand and did not make a starter.

I set myself up for the off flavor but wanted to see how tough kveik was.

Offline Cali4nea

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 01:20:57 am »
The craziest and most active fermentation I have ever experienced!

Kept it around 85F the whole time. Made a huge starter. Pitched half or less of the 4L starter, and left close to a gallon of headspace in 5.5 gallon bucket.

I had about a gallon still blow through the air lock and continued foaming and blowing out of the airlock from 3ish hours after pitch for an additional 8 hours. 

Mellowed out for the last half but overall was finished in about 36 hours.

The brew was a “chicha” beer hybrid. 30% Pilsner malt, 40% milled corn, 15% panela (raw cane sugar), and 15% oats. Projected ABV of 9.5% abv.

No off flavors, almost no yeast smell (slightly lager like but no sulfur).

BLOWN AWAY by this yeast by how clean yet fast it is. Next will be an IPA/IPL. Definitely leave 25% or more headspace to avoid beercano from the fermenter.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 08:35:25 am »
I've noticed the last few batches I've used Lutra for it's been slow to finish unless I've ramped up the temperature. I've normally been fermenting around 70-72, and it goes away if I bring the temp up closer to 80. I usually over build starters and save prior to pitching, so this is usually a few generations in. Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't tasted any off flavors related to this, but it's one more thing to manage.

Offline fsmmod@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 09:16:52 pm »
I used this to make a hard seltzer. Done fermenting in 2-4 days and dropped clear and clean.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 10:12:00 am »
I used this to make a hard seltzer. Done fermenting in 2-4 days and dropped clear and clean.

Now this sounds interesting. Was there a lot of yeast character in the finished seltzer?
Eric B.

Offline fsmmod@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 10:46:07 am »
0 yeast character in the seltzer. I also used the suggested yeast nutrient with it.

I didn't flavor the seltzer, opting to use Toriani syrups in each glass to have a wide range of options. It was sparkling clear and crisp, no fining needed.