Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Parti-Gyle Brewing  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Let's Discuss Parti-Gyle Brewing
« on: February 06, 2021, 03:28:26 pm »
Truth be told, batch sparging is a little more than a version of parti-gyle brewing known as entire-gyle brewing.  Parti-gyle used to be a very popular brewing technique in the UK for producing a big beer from the first runnings and small or table beer from the second runnings.  However, few amateur brewers are aware of the background behind batch sparging.  Maybe, just maybe, it is time for the amateur brewing community to embrace the whole of parti-gyle brewing?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Let's Discuss Parti-Gyle Brewing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 03:39:48 pm »
Just doing two runnings is a way to do it, but not the only way. Those runnings can be blended to make a range of beers in the breweries portfolio. Fillers does this from Golden Pride down to Chiswick Bitter.

https://beerandbrewing.com/practical-parti-gyle-brewing/

Ron Pattinson also has written about it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 08:32:14 pm »
Used to be popular? How about Fullers ESB and London Pride? Anyone interested in partigyle brewing should pick up a copy of "Guile Brews" By Peter Symon. Peter is from Australia and cites a lot of Aussie breweries but also includes many English brews as well. He explains the process... offers formulas for homebrewers as well as several recipes.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Let's Discuss Parti-Gyle Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 06:27:21 am »
Doesn’t Anchor create Small Beer from the second runnings of Old Foghorn? https://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/anchor_small

I’ve read a little on this and understand the 1st and 2nd runnings have a different composition, and not just of sugars. The various salts, lipids, proteins, and such can cause fermentation problems and grainy flavor in a pure 2nd running beer.  I’ve never done it so don’t have any first hand experiences — only what I’ve read.

I’ve always wanted to take 1st and 2nd runnings separately, but instead of making two different beers with the two separate runnings, mix 1/4-1/3 1st runnings with 2/3-3/4 2nd runnings and vice versa to create two different beers using different hops and yeast in each.

Another variation would be to combine the two runnings as a normal batch sparge for two 1/2 and 1/2 batches of wort. With one create a Pale Ale, and in the other steep some dark crystal and/or roasted malt, add the tea to create the second beer as an Amber or Brown. Boil and hop them separately.

I guess another variation but one I am less interested in would be to combine the two runnings as a normal batch sparge for two 1/2 and 1/2 batches of wort, then drain off a portion and add brewhaus liquor to bring them to two desired gravities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:57:25 am by BrewBama »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 06:43:17 am »
https://beerandbrewing.com/practical-parti-gyle-brewing/

That is a good article. It highlights the importance of being able to work in gravity points versus treating everything as an efficiency problem.  All efficiency is is gravity points obtained from a grist divided by its theoretical maximum potential in gravity points.  In my humble opinion, efficiency is not very useful measurement in brewing, especially the way it is calculated in BeerSmith.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:35:55 am »
im sort of off small beer as an idea now. if i want water ill have water, if i want beer id rather have a proper one at minimum 4%.

you could add a smaller amount of water to the 2nd runnings, creating say 4 litres of wort, then boil that 4 litres extremely hard down to 2 or 1 litre to make an extract or concentrated wort to boost the ABV without significantly increasing the total volume for one thing

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:46:15 am »
One of my favorite beers I make is a Porter from the 2nd runnings of my Imperial Stout I brew every January. I brew a small batch Imperial Stout, full volume no sparge, runoff that wort into a kettle. Add strike water to that mash, stir and recirculate for a bit and run that wort off for a whole different beer. I end up with a 3 gal batch of Imperial Stout ~1.100 OG and 3 gals of a nice, rich Porter ~1.060. It's the only time I do anything like this, but since I do mostly no sparge mashing now, I have considered trying it on a different batch.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »
im sort of off small beer as an idea now. if i want water ill have water, if i want beer id rather have a proper one at minimum 4%.

you could add a smaller amount of water to the 2nd runnings, creating say 4 litres of wort, then boil that 4 litres extremely hard down to 2 or 1 litre to make an extract or concentrated wort to boost the ABV without significantly increasing the total volume for one thing

Your second runnings don't have to be "small" or "watery". I mentioned earlier that Fuller's partigyles ESB and London Pride. The "big beer" is ESB at 5.9% ABV and the "small beer" is London Pride at 4.7% ABV.
- Plato

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 04:10:26 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-87-crafty-guile-brewing

Your podcast is probably where I heard about Guile Brews. I remember listening on the treadmill at the gym and ordered the book as soon as I got home.
- Plato

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 01:48:04 pm »
One way to do it is for the small beer to be dark and the big beer pale. Since you can add any "steeping grain" to the second runnings (and they actually aid in acidifying the mash, to boot), it's pretty easy to make a 1.070+ IPA and a 1.040+ brown ale or porter from one "base mash."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 02:07:01 pm »
One way to do it is for the small beer to be dark and the big beer pale. Since you can add any "steeping grain" to the second runnings (and they actually aid in acidifying the mash, to boot), it's pretty easy to make a 1.070+ IPA and a 1.040+ brown ale or porter from one "base mash."

The last few times I did it it was a 1.100 BW and a 1.060ish brown ale
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:37:31 pm »

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 11:58:23 am »
I just did this with a Barleywine I made.  I just can't in good conscious waste all that sugar in the grain  :).  I tried to turn the second batch into a Amber ale.  We will see how it turns out...
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 03:53:31 pm »
When I've done it, I like having to let go a bit of recipe design for second runnings beer due to the constraints inherited from the first runnings beer.  I take a stab at having the second runnings beer be in line with a style, but you really don't really have that much control.  It's fun.