Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are you using for dry hopping?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: What are you using for dry hopping?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2021, 11:02:50 am »
I started dry hopping in my corny keg with those muslin bags but thought I'd save the environment and some cash and go with one of these filter jobbies : https://smile.amazon.com/Beer-Brewing-Dry-Hopper-Filter/dp/B07QRYVCQS

I've used it three times now and the hops just seem to swell up and create a solid "puck" in the bottom of the filter. I'm not so sure the hops are being fully utilized either. The last couple batches I've noticed haven't got a lot of hop aroma. Anyone else use one of these? What are y'all using for dry hopping in the keg?

I like those mesh tubes, but I think they work best if you don't put more than 1.5 oz. of pellet hops in them. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:19 am »
I'm not worried about O2 from the dry hops, which seems to be the latest bogey man for homebrewers.

Yeah, I've been wondering, why/when did everyone get so brash over oxidation? I feel a lot are over worried.. I mean, I do closed transfers and all that but between when I went to Europe in 2015 and came back in 2019 it seemed to be the biggest thing in the world. A lot of people act like they are oversensitive to it.. tasting it in 2 day old beers. I've even had some complain about oxidation in beers that were years old and I'm just wondering why are you drinking styles you know were aged and complaining?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

From my own experience: Dry hopping has caused some diacetyl in some beers. Wether this was a cause of hop creep or from the oxidation is impossible to determine now (since oxidation can cause diacetyl to reform to put it simply).

I've not used an unpurged secondary or corny keg in probably 15 or more years. Personally I think things like racking should be "minimalized" not avoided. Anytime you dry hop or rack you should keep in mind the possible oxygen pick up and minimize it. It shouldn't be a handicap though.

I have never had hop creep, even when I tried to make it happen on 3 different brews.  I think it's because of my practice of waiting for fermentation to finish and cold crashing before dry hopping.  It's as if the worries about O2 made people start dry hopping before the end of fermentwwtion, which created its own issues.

I think I can ascribe some issues to hop creep over 10 years of brewing IPAs commercially. By trying to avoid it solved some issues that "crept" up from time to lime. ;). I have not tried to induce it.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2021, 11:19:03 am »
I've been all over the place on this since I started fermenting in kegs. I recently switched to floating dip tubes in my fermenters, but I haven't brewed an aggressively dry hopped IPA yet to test it out.

I've been eyeballing this one for quite some time: https://www.amazon.com/Conical-Rounder-fermenter-Silicone-Liquid/dp/B08SBRD1WX
Do you just use a gas dip tube on the OUT spigot or is there some reason that wouldn't work? I've heard about cutting dip tubes but not sure what that's all about.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What are you using for dry hopping?
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2021, 11:28:21 am »
I trimmed my gas-in dip tube flush to the inside of the keg. Basically, it’s just there to hold the o-ring. This allows me to tip the keg towards the gas-in post to drain any residual sanitizer when purging the keg for closed transfer.

I use floating dip tubes for the liquid out. I get clear beer a cpl-three days quicker with it. It came with a short dip tube. Not sure if the one linked to comes with a dip tube or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk