Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Goldilocks Original Gravity Range  (Read 2681 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Your Goldilocks Original Gravity Range
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 05:13:58 am »
Ok I'm gonna be the wierd one, my OG nichee is 1.035-1.043 for most of my beers I do regularly, most low alchool british ale, some sessions american ale and a little low alchool german beers
I'd be the same way, except I like hoppy beers and I feel that some hop flavor is missing when a beer is under 5.5% or so ABV. I'm assuming that the alcohol helps extraction, solubility, or acts as a carrier for hop oils.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 05:19:09 am »
I’ve been chasing 1.034 to 1.040 beers for several months now and getting the hops right is elusive, indeed.  The best have been a Leichtbier Helles and a Czech Pale Lager, but I have 3 Leichtbier Pils on tap at present with slight hop tweaks between them.  My Ordinary bitters have leaned toward Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, but a bit smaller.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 05:53:00 am »
Mine is about 1.048, with a range of 1.040 to 1.055. The older I get the smaller I like my beers to be. Plus, this way I can mill all my grains in one hopper-load.

This has been my path as well (in addition to smaller and smaller batch size, been down around 1 to 1.25 gallons for a while now).  Without even really thinking about it, after taking another look, all my beers except for one over the past 2 years have been from 1.045 to 1.055, with an overall average of 1.052.  And the next one I have planned is an American Light Lager at 1.042.  So I am definitely shrinking my OGs as I grow older.  These days I care much less about gimmicky stuff and much more about quality.

My pursuit now for a little while anyway will be trying to nail down standard strength German lagers.  I don't even want doppelbock for now, though I might try a maibock.  I'm going to brew multiple lighter lagers over the coming months.  If I can finally get the German lagers figured out, then I can move on to other things.  Unless I fail and just give up.  But my last batch gives me hope that I am finally on the path.  I expect average OG for all of these to be right around 1.050, maybe 1.055 tops.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 06:06:59 am »
Mine has settled into the 12 to 18 Plato range for most lagers.

Ales are brewed from 9P to 25P+. I've been doing more Special Bitter at around 10P. Will do some Milds around 8 to 9 this spring.

Did you miss any common gravity with those ranges?  :)

For German beers it would be Schank beers at 8P, so Leicht Beer and Berliner Weiß. No strong Doppelbocks or Eisbier for me.

I do appreciate most English beer. I do see recipes for table beer, and a few others in the 3% or less range. The really strong ones are too much for me now, like Thomas Hardy's ale. I might do an English Barley wine soon, but more in the 8% range.

Most of my hoppy American style beers have dropped to 6% ABV or just above.

To put it in engineer speak, I've been tightening the distribution of what I brew up to 9-14 P.  There are still some pesky long tails that remain.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 06:18:13 am »
All my brews are 4 to 5% ABV.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 08:55:55 am »
checking the last several brews ive made, the "standard strength" beer in my mind that ive made have been

1.043 - 2
1.044 - 1
1.045 - 3
1.046 - 1
1.047 - 1
1.049 - 1
1.054 - 1
1.056 - 1

over 1.06 would be strong intentioned and id try to go much over that ie. 1.07 or so, that way i dont session a whole bunch of 6.2+% abv beers as standard beers

im narrowing it down further to keep it closer to 1.043 - 1.048 in the future mostly. discourage flabby FGs and keep alcohol slightly down

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 10:26:19 am »
Ok I'm gonna be the wierd one, my OG nichee is 1.035-1.043 for most of my beers I do regularly, most low alchool british ale, some sessions american ale and a little low alchool german beers
I'd be the same way, except I like hoppy beers and I feel that some hop flavor is missing when a beer is under 5.5% or so ABV. I'm assuming that the alcohol helps extraction, solubility, or acts as a carrier for hop oils.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I didn't seeing to miss the hops, my english ales have the hops just right, but those beer are not a american IPA, my IPA I tend to go with session but my most pride IPA was 6.6% ABV, so I think you're absolut correct

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 11:16:07 am »
Around 1.050 usually. I drink beer primarily as a thirst quencher. OTOH I love doppelbock and English style barley wine and I go out of my way for a well brewed IIPA so don't hold me to that.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 03:03:38 pm »
I went back and checked the brews I made during my first pass through the hobby.  Surprisingly, very few were of greater than 1.056 gravity for most of that period.  Most of the batches were in the 1.052 to 1.056 range.  It finally dawned on me as to why they were in that range.  I was using mostly domestic 2-row as my base malt and domestic 2-row comes in 50lb bags.  Most the recipes were based on 10lbs of base malt and a pound of specialty malts, usually a half of a pound of torrified wheat and half of a pound of some kind of crystal/caramel malt.  That brew house usually yielded 29PPG +/-  1PPG.   I brewed 5.75-gallon batches, so that I could yield 5 gallons of clear beer to a keg.  With an average extraction rate of 29PPG, that meant 11 * 0.029 / 5.75 + 1 = 1.0555.  After I switched to using imported malt, I started using 11lbs of base malt per batch on average because imported malt comes in 55lb bags.  That is when my range changed to 1.056 to 1.060.  My desire to use a bag of base malt efficiently is what drove my O.G. range. 

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 04:33:03 pm »
My everyday beers are usually in the lower 1.050’s, but I will occasionally make an Imperial Stout, or a Belgian Strong.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2021, 06:45:34 pm »
Brewing big beers is a lot of fun but most of my brewing is around 1.040-1.050. Mostly looking at beers I can have a few on a weekend night and not be hungover or feel like I put down 5000 calories in beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 09:35:11 pm »
Brewing big beers is a lot of fun but most of my brewing is around 1.040-1.050. Mostly looking at beers I can have a few on a weekend night and not be hungover or feel like I put down 5000 calories in beer.

yup, i think homebrewed beers have a tendency to have higher FGs than  commercial craft beers, and certainly much higher FGs than bigger company made beers. those remaining gravity points are in a way money lost when they are trying to put out beer that is "X% ABV" as long as it isnt noticeable.

as i stated, i admittedly made some flabby beers lately and it feels like dessert plus a beer putting some of them down. definitely going harder on getting dryer beers now.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 09:04:16 am »
Any beer above 6.5 abv tastes medicinal to me.  5.0 abv is the target for nearly all my brews and I brew mostly milds, browns, porters, and stouts.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 06:47:17 pm »
My ideal numbers are 1.048-1.052 and 38-42 IBU.

Not surprising to hear my favorite beer styles are:

California Common
Altbier
German Pils
American Pale Ale
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline wesbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 07:33:04 am »
Most of the beers that I want to drink 5-10 gallons of fall in the 1.042-1.052 range.
🍺 Pouring cold beer