Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your Goldilocks Original Gravity Range  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Your Goldilocks Original Gravity Range
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2021, 12:38:29 pm »
I ran the stats on the last 10 years of brewing, and have a mean original gravity of 1.054, a median of 1.052, and a mode of 1.046. This reflects my "perfect" original gravity pretty well, I think. A beer that hits ~1.050 and finishes just a hair south of 5% abv makes me happiest!

The yearly mean starting gravity has declined slightly over the past five years (1.057 in 2016; 1.052 in 2020), because I've started to do session beers more frequently. I rarely brew high gravity beers; if I want something "big," a single bottle from the store is usually enough to satisfy my cravings.

Yep, I'm a data nerd.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:40:48 pm by Andy Farke »
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2021, 07:45:22 pm »
I ran the stats on the last 10 years of brewing, and have a mean original gravity of 1.054, a median of 1.052, and a mode of 1.046. This reflects my "perfect" original gravity pretty well, I think. A beer that hits ~1.050 and finishes just a hair south of 5% abv makes me happiest!

The yearly mean starting gravity has declined slightly over the past five years (1.057 in 2016; 1.052 in 2020), because I've started to do session beers more frequently. I rarely brew high gravity beers; if I want something "big," a single bottle from the store is usually enough to satisfy my cravings.

Yep, I'm a data nerd.

i dont know if its still popular but the styles of american pale ale and american amber ale with OGs of 1.055 to 1.062 or so were really popular for a long time in the earlier years of homebrewing. i see a lot less of them at the store now i believe.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2021, 10:44:44 pm »
i dont know if its still popular but the styles of american pale ale and american amber ale with OGs of 1.055 to 1.062 or so were really popular for a long time in the earlier years of homebrewing. i see a lot less of them at the store now i believe.

At least here in SoCal, American pale ales are still rather common at many breweries (and homebrew kits). But if I want an amber ale, I've gotta brew one! Hardly any of the smaller craft breweries make 'em now, whereas they were everywhere 15 or 20 years ago!
Facebook: Farke Brewing