Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Correct Grain For Red Color?  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Correct Grain For Red Color?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2021, 09:23:35 am »
Now we know.

Some of us already knew

Some are all knowing. And good for those who are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2021, 09:44:28 am »
Now we know.

Some of us already knew

Some are all knowing. And good for those who are.

Personally I'm more "some knowing" than "all knowing"
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2021, 10:15:41 am »
For the record I realize I don't know jack and I know a lot of others know a lot more than myself. But I do know that Sinamar is a great tool to use in your brewing if that's what you want. If it's not it's also just as great to leave out!

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2021, 01:27:02 pm »
Speaking of knowing, and combining it with the discussion of Sinamar, and coming at this from the perspective of one who assuredly doesn't know, is there a means to equate weight additions of Sinamar to Lovibond or EBC color valuations?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:06 pm »
Speaking of knowing, and combining it with the discussion of Sinamar, and coming at this from the perspective of one who assuredly doesn't know, is there a means to equate weight additions of Sinamar to Lovibond or EBC color valuations?

I had it programed into my software but not any longer - here's all I could find geared fomr HB

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Additives-Spices-Soda-Extract/Natural-Flavorings-Colorings/4-Oz-Sinamar-Natural-Coloring

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:01 pm »

IIRC, using 1000L is then accepted way.  I'll check.  But it's WAY easier to just add a bit to the kettle til you get the color you want.  That's the beauty of using Sinamar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:33 pm »

IIRC, using 1000L is then accepted way.  I'll check.  But it's WAY easier to just add a bit to the kettle til you get the color you want.  That's the beauty of using Sinamar.
The Weyermann web site has specs for Sinamar. They say the color is 8100 - 8600 EBC (3054 - 3243 Lovibond).
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2021, 02:58:17 pm »
The Weyermann web site has specs for Sinamar. They say the color is 8100 - 8600 EBC (3054 - 3243 Lovibond).

Thank you!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2021, 03:03:59 pm »
Williams Brewing sells it by the four ounce bottle and they say that an ounce adds 5 L to the color in a 5 gallon batch of beer...

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Home-Brewing-Supplies/Additives-Spices-Soda-Extract/Natural-Flavorings-Colorings/4-Oz-Sinamar-Natural-Coloring

I think I am going to get some and see if I can make a Leicht Schwarzbier with my typical Leicht Helles recipe.

I may have to try to make the stuff myself, too....

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2021, 03:49:47 pm »

Thank you!

Having added that into various calculators, I have to say it's way off. I think 1200L is about right. For what it's worth, One 4 oz bottle will probably darken a keg by about 20 SRM. That's enough to turn a pale ale into a brown ale or a brown ale into a porter. And at that quantity, you definitely taste it -- it's smooth and roasty and even milder than using carafa at vorlauf.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2021, 04:27:45 pm »

That's how I have always used it. Add it till it's right and the write it down. I seem to remember it being packaged for hombrewers by Wyermann years ago but looks like only repackaged on the market now? Maybe I'm misremembering.