Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Shelf Life?  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Beer Shelf Life?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 05:39:36 pm »
I believe that what a lot of people do not take into account is that home-brewed beer has a live yeast culture that serves to protect the beer. Home-brewed beer is not filtered or pasteurized.  It is alive.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 06:22:44 pm »
I believe that what a lot of people do not take into account is that home-brewed beer has a live yeast culture that serves to protect the beer. Home-brewed beer is not filtered or pasteurized.  It is alive.

Yes. Some actually filter the beer, and I did in the past. It seemed to extend shelf life.

You need to made one more post...that 6X6 number creeps me out!

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 10:58:41 pm »

So what is the yeast doing to protect the beer after they have run out of fermentables, flocculated and dropped to the bottom of the container?

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 08:55:48 am »

So what is the yeast doing to protect the beer after they have run out of fermentables, flocculated and dropped to the bottom of the container?

And, therein lies the $3 question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 08:56:35 am »

Almost all the craft beer I drink is not filtered or pasteurized, either
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 08:56:55 am »

THIS

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Shelf Life?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 09:26:01 am »
Nature doesn’t always follow logic. We’ve seen this many times in home brewing. What we think should be happening isn’t.

Maybe ask Deschutes Brewery. From what I understand they add yeast to the bottles of their hop fwd beers to consume O2. It could be a referment in the bottle like the Belgians do.

...but this seems to confirm interviews I’ve heard with Dr Bamforth. He says if a beer is oxidized to run some yeast thru it. He doesn’t say it has to be actively fermenting — just present.  ...but this may need clarification.

Maybe Experimental Brewing podcast can get to the bottom of this for us — to clarify this statement and get an explanation of how it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 09:28:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 11:12:07 am »
Nature doesn’t always follow logic. We’ve seen this many times in home brewing. What we think should be happening isn’t.

Maybe ask Deschutes Brewery. From what I understand they add yeast to the bottles of their hop fwd beers to consume O2. It could be a referment in the bottle like the Belgians do.

...but this seems to confirm interviews I’ve heard with Dr Bamforth. He says if a beer is oxidized to run some yeast thru it. He doesn’t say it has to be actively fermenting — just present.  ...but this may need clarification.

Maybe Experimental Brewing podcast can get to the bottom of this for us — to clarify this statement and get an explanation of how it works.

This should be relatively easy to quantitatively test for someone with a filter and a DO meter.

- Expose a fully fermented & filtered batch of beer to oxygen
- Package half with no yeast, and half with added yeast
- Check DO levels at varying lengths of time

To minimize the confounding variable of whether or not refermentation occurred, ferment the original batch with a highly attenuative yeast (such as 3711 or Belle Saison), and repackage with a minimally attenuative yeast (such as Windsor).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2021, 12:07:24 pm »
Proper cleaning and sanitation play a big part in how long a batch will last.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 12:14:52 pm »

This should be relatively easy to quantitatively test for someone with a filter and a DO meter.

- Expose a fully fermented & filtered batch of beer to oxygen
- Package half with no yeast, and half with added yeast
- Check DO levels at varying lengths of time

To minimize the confounding variable of whether or not refermentation occurred, ferment the original batch with a highly attenuative yeast (such as 3711 or Belle Saison), and repackage with a minimally attenuative yeast (such as Windsor).

I worked pretty hard at YH with a DO meter trying to minimize o2 and trying to maximize shelf life. Our beer wasn't "dead" it was centrifuged -- some yeast still remained. Some beers were even packaged with a yeast haze.

Unquestionably in tests the lower DO beer had longer shelf life.

I don't disagree that live yeast has the ability to scrub some oxygen and help prolong shelf life, but as someone else pointed out: If live yeast was all it took why does a firkin go bad in 2 or 3 days from oxygen introduction? Wouldn't it say fresh indefinitely? It's cask conditioned with live yeast after all.

I can access a DO meter still but I just don't think there is any point in doing the test.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 01:24:15 pm »
I had 2 kegs of a porter in the fridge untapped but carbed. I took one and tasted it and it was absolutely fine. After tasting I added some cacao nibs, toasted coconut, toasted dried hot chilis and a vanilla bean. Let it sit for 2 maybe 3 weeks and transferred under co2 to a serving keg. I think it was delicious if not overly chocolatey. The porter was from Feb. of 18' I think that being a dark beer and 8% abv along with a hefty 35 IBU's is what helped the beer age with few issues. My plan is to do it again with the remaining keg just prior to this December. In my case, time didn't seem to affect the beer at all or at least the threshold was too low for me to distinguish.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 01:35:04 pm »
It amazes me how long dark beer will last. Supposedly dark malts have some antioxidant properties that helps keep them stable. I have had homebrewed barley wines (not dark, but just as an example) last upwards of ten years. They had peaked, to be sure, but were still drinkable and interesting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 01:40:35 pm »
It amazes me how long dark beer will last. Supposedly dark malts have some antioxidant properties that helps keep them stable. I have had homebrewed barley wines (not dark, but just as an example) last upwards of ten years. They had peaked, to be sure, but were still drinkable and interesting.

Years ago, either Papazian or Fix advocated adding a very small amount of dark malt to pils as an antioxidant

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 09:22:36 pm »
Keeping as much malt antioxidant as you can going into the package is the best solution. This is why, long ago, a member who is no longer here started talking about preserving them on the hot side as well as cold.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2021, 05:45:47 am »
Keeping as much malt antioxidant as you can going into the package is the best solution. This is why, long ago, a member who is no longer here started talking about preserving them on the hot side as well as cold.

Yep. He had great information but a confrontational way of delivering that continuously broke forum rules. I wish he would have chosen a friendlier path.