Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Kettle Question...  (Read 1110 times)

Offline GrantKail

• 1st Kit
New Kettle Question...
« on: February 09, 2021, 02:31:09 pm »
Having not made the jump to a bigger kettle yet, is there really that much of a difference between the $80 Kettle and a $200 Kettle? And is it worth it?

Considering an Anvil 10 Gallon.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: New Kettle Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 02:36:06 pm »
I got a brewers best 8 gallon with a 1/2 inch ball valve for 120 bucks and I had zero problems with it. Unless your mashing in it I never saw the point of having an extra port for a thermometer.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 07:01:37 pm »
I think it would really kind of depend on your process and what features you would actually use.

For me, doing 1-vessel BIAB, the answer is no. Extra ports and thermowells would just be more stuff to snag on.

But if you want to recirculate or something like that, then maybe so.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
New Kettle Question...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:44:55 am »
To the OP: ‘worth it’ is a sense of value by the owner.

I went with a 10 gal BrewBuilt kettle from MoreBeer (~$180) and to me it is worth every penny. It has a triclad bottom to distribute heat that works on my induction cooktop. I like the lid cutout for my chiller and the insulated handles. Mine came with threads inside and outside so I simply threaded on a pickup tube and ball valve. It also has a thermometer port plugged off if I ever what to add a thermometer (I don’t in my current set up). For others, that may be either overspending or going cheap.

A cpl thoughts:

1. If you buy cheap equipment and you ever decide to leave the hobby very few will buy your used kettle. But the market opens up if you have nicer equipment.

2. If you know you’re in this for the long haul: buy once cry once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:30:02 am by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:07:33 am »
To the OP: ‘worth it’ is a sense of value by the owner.

I completely agree.

Also, some additional thoughts: 1) aluminum vs. stainless.  2) Valve vs. no valve.

I bought a 60 art Polar Ware with a valve, sight glass and thermometer port.  The sight glass failed, so the manufacturer replaced the kettle with one without the sight glass.  I have since removed the thermometer (not necessary) and plugged the hole.

As they say: “value is in the eye of the beholder.”  Or something like that.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:53 am »
Another consideration is how you’re boiling. For an internal electric boil, thin stainless could be preferable. With external heating, thicker metal can be desirable. Even aluminum is OK.

Ports and sight glasses aren’t a value to me, but could be to others.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 04:53:47 pm »
A really  long time ago, I got my first kettle for full wort boils from Northern Brewer.  It didn't have handles but was 8 or 10 gallons and had a valve.  Worked fine but was thin-walled and quite dangerous to handle.  I later got a more expensive kettle and re-purposed the cheaper one as an insulated mash-tun and threw out my beat-up plastic cooler.  Just another path to consider...