Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding Finings  (Read 2330 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Adding Finings
« on: February 10, 2021, 03:30:28 pm »
I stopped adding finings back when I started to do closed transfers because I didn't know how to add them. I still don't know how to add finings while doing a closed transfer from conical to keg. So obviously I have been letting time and gravity do the work for me but find that I don't have the patience to wait for it to "completely" clear. I like to drink too much I guess.

So, what do some of you guys that also keg do to get finings into your beer while trying to eliminate o2?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Adding Finings
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:43:44 pm »
I have seen some simple work arounds - the easiest is to put the fining solution into a soda bottle with a carb cap on it and add CO2 under pressure to exceed the pressure of the receiving keg that has been purged. Make up a tube with black QDC's on each end. Put the one end on the purged keg with a little CO2 to purge the line (you should be able to bleed out the CO2 by depressing the other end at the QDC.)  Invert the soda bottle with solution and connect to the remaining QDC that you just purged.  The fining solution should flow into the keg.  If you want it only introduced at the top of the keg, then on one end of the transfer tubing, you could use a gray QDC through the "in" post.

I may not have it down exactly, but others here can advise if I missed a vital step...Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 03:50:16 pm »
After thinking about my first post, I should be able to add finings to the conical before transfer and after cold crash. How about that conundrum?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 04:03:22 pm »
I'm the most recent Zymurgy, a dude (or dudette) made a device to add a port to the gas in and slowly added it in. Sure, not completely closed but you don't have to open. (Jan/Feb)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 04:06:14 pm »
After thinking about my first post, I should be able to add finings to the conical before transfer and after cold crash. How about that conundrum?

I thought that you were concerned about the closed transfer and O2 introduction.  If not, you can add finings to chilled beer in the primary, no problem.  Many would suggest that you can add to the conical through any number of ports on the lid, including the blow off tube....

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 04:16:04 pm »
I'm the most recent Zymurgy, a dude (or dudette) made a device to add a port to the gas in and slowly added it in. Sure, not completely closed but you don't have to open. (Jan/Feb)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thanks! Will look at that issue.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 04:20:19 pm »

I thought that you were concerned about the closed transfer and O2 introduction.  If not, you can add finings to chilled beer in the primary, no problem.  Many would suggest that you can add to the conical through any number of ports on the lid, including the blow off tube....

I am. I avoid o2 ingress as much as possible after the boil. If Im repitching yeast I don't even bother with adding o2 for fermentation. So I don't want to open the vessel at all after fermentation. That is where Im at a crossroads as how to add the finings.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 06:37:42 pm »
Repitched yeast usually needs O2, more so than initial dry yeast pitch, as well as nutrient.

My initial suggestion for adding finings works well and isn’t overly difficult.  Good luck.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 08:03:32 pm »
See BrewBama's post on how to introduce finings into a keg without any oxygen exposure:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=36110.msg452529#msg452529

Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:18 pm »
See BrewBama's post on how to introduce finings into a keg without any oxygen exposure:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=36110.msg452529#msg452529

+1. That was where I saw it - Brew Bama knows his stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 05:32:07 am »
Late to the party. I picked up that idea from another brewer (Scherlinka?) and made several refinements to his approach.

Recently, Richard had a great idea on how to sanitize using the same approach: fill the keg with water, blow it out with CO2 and use the water elsewhere, then jumper a small amount of sanitizer into the purged keg and swirl it around and dump it. Keeps you from having to mix 5 gallons of sanitizer each time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 06:38:31 am »

+1. That was where I saw it - Brew Bama knows his stuff!

Ok, I understand now after doing a little google search and seeing with my eyes how its done. Will order the carb caps and try this out!1

Thanks!!

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »
I do something similar to what BrewBama does but on a smaller scale. I use a 20 mL syringe to inject the fining into the gas-in fitting:

1. Connect a short piece of tubing to the syringe.
2. Suck up the fining solution.
3. Attach a gas ball-lock connector to the open end of the tubing.
4. Connect a carb cap to the connector.
5. Push the plunger just enough to push out all the air, which you'll know when you see liquid in the stem of the carb cap.
6. Remove the carb cap, connect the gas ball-lock connector to the gas-in fitting of the keg and push the rest in.

More often than not, though, I just open the lid and dump in the fining. I keep it on 1-2 psi of positive pressure when the lid is open in an effort to minimize O2 ingress. Works well.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 02:50:06 pm »
You could use Clearzyme and add it to the fermenter.  https://www.morebeer.com/products/cellarscience-clearzyme-placeholder.html
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »
If you get clear beer into the fermentor then it's just a matter of letting the yeast finish, flocculate, drop and you again have clear beer. IMO kettle finings and settling time are the way to go.