Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Volume and Hops?  (Read 945 times)

Offline Homebrew_kev

• Cellarman
    • Check out my Instagram
Water Volume and Hops?
« on: February 10, 2021, 04:33:53 pm »
I've noticed that when ever I brew a beer with more than 8oz of hops, I get less beer in the keg. How do you adjust your water volumes in relation to hops?

As a stop gap, I've used Cryo hops (which are amazing) but I want to use the new varities that aren't avalible in cryo. I'll uasually do a nice bittering charge, then toss in a lot of late additions and whirlpool - between that and dry hopping I can easily use 10oz of hops and end up with way less beer than I want.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Water Volume and Hops?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:30:10 pm »
I've noticed that when ever I brew a beer with more than 8oz of hops, I get less beer in the keg. How do you adjust your water volumes in relation to hops?

As a stop gap, I've used Cryo hops (which are amazing) but I want to use the new varities that aren't avalible in cryo. I'll uasually do a nice bittering charge, then toss in a lot of late additions and whirlpool - between that and dry hopping I can easily use 10oz of hops and end up with way less beer than I want.
If you're using a recipe calculator you can just adjust your batch size or fermenter losses to account for the extra losses.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:23:20 am »

If you're using a recipe calculator you can just adjust your batch size or fermenter losses to account for the extra losses.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yep - you have to pay the hop tax somehow. Either scale up your batch size by a few quarts, or accept that you will net a smaller amount of finished beer. I used to do the former, now I settle for the latter.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 11:19:39 am »

You can add .15 qt. volume for each ounce of pellet hops to your batch size. It will add a few cents worth of grain and hops to your cost, but will give you the full keg you're looking for. Alternately, you can just settle for a keg that isn't quite full.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV