Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: True Believer homebrewers  (Read 1646 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
True Believer homebrewers
« on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:51 pm »
I tried to come up with a better description for this post. I was enjoying a glass of the second brew of my Belgian fermented with La Chouffe yeast, Belgian pils, etc. and thinking with a smile that maybe this should be the only recipe I brew. It wasn't a serious thought, though honestly this is the best beer I have made in over ten years of brewing and I've pulled it off twice on two different systems, so you can see where I might go there.

Then I wondered... have there been homebrewers who hit a recipe and stayed there?

I tend to go all over the place with recipes, occasionally rebrewing if I'm experimenting (much as I do in my baking where I was deep into Bakewell tarts and macarons before the pandemic hit). I just began wondering if there was that homebrewer out there who said "this is really great, I do not need to brew a million different things" and cranked out (or still cranks out) that one recipe.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: True Believer homebrewers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:48:49 am »
I launched a brewery by brewing the same recipes over and over again- be careful. ;)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 04:23:16 am »
I’m going to start working on perfecting certain recipes to be my mainstays. I’ve always brewed different styles pretty much at random and hardly ever brewed the same thing twice in a row. I definitely have a few favorite styles now that I want to focus on more intensely.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 05:37:18 am »
My unicorn is German Leichtbier.  Low ABV but enough flavor to fully satisfy.  Likewise ordinary bitter.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 06:10:50 am »
It was always a goal of mine to develop those "mainstays" but after a couple of decades of brewing, I've conceded. Not going to happen, and that's OK with me. It all goes back to the question, "Why do I brew?" Experimentation is enjoyable and satisfying. Winning competitions just doesn't do much for me. Opening a brewery? NO, NO, and NO.

I do respect those who have the discipline, patience, and talent to repeatedly produce the same perfected beer time after time.
Roger

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 06:48:34 am »
My goal is to be more intentional. I want to brew a few good beers across the color/flavor spectrum vs becoming a jack of all trades, master of none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 07:06:46 am »
I think I will always want to brew a variety of beers but English Bitters have become my house beer. Three of my last six brews have been 4-4.3% ABV bitters and I can see that trend of one bitter for every one other style of beer I brew.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 07:12:50 am »
After 13+ years, I just brewed my last all grain batch, due to age and physical limitations. Will be gong to partial mashes for as long as I can. Have been doing mostly APAs and IPAs (west coast) and seldom brewed the same beer more than a few times. As I thin down my process and get rid of equipment and odd bits & pieces, that will just be taking up space, thinking seriously of dialing in a house IPA and a house Pale Ale to keep on tap. I've got a 3 faucet tower on my keezer and generally keep a cider on tap for my wife. Might occasionally brew the odd beer on a whim and probably bottle them. It would be nice to reclaim most of the space my gear is stored in and greatly reduce my inventory.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 07:18:58 am »
My Amarillo IPA is brewed the same way every time, as is my Saison and Coffee Porter.  They always come out tasting the same and are always good.

Note:  If I were to modify my Amarillo IPA, my wife would probably inflict severe bodily harm on me!  ;D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 07:48:31 am »
This year I was doing lager, APA, lager, APA progression.  Then I added some ambers, browns, now a porter, next an IPA, and suddenly I am all over the place again...

I have stuck with lager, ale, lager, ale.  I like that. I always two choices in the keg fridge.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:27 am »
This year I was doing lager, APA, lager, APA progression.  Then I added some ambers, browns, now a porter, next an IPA, and suddenly I am all over the place again...

I have stuck with lager, ale, lager, ale.  I like that. I always two choices in the keg fridge.

This is kind of the way I brew but my 2-Keg rotation is a little different...

House Porter
Beer
House Stout
Beer

Repeat.

The "Beer" is a random style and usually something more pale, but I'll throw in the occasional Brown.  I like to keep a dark and pale beer on tap at all times.

Offline raf

• 1st Kit
    • Michiana Extract and Grain Association (MEGA)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 08:15:58 am »
I think I will always want to brew a variety of beers but English Bitters have become my house beer. Three of my last six brews have been 4-4.3% ABV bitters and I can see that trend of one bitter for every one other style of beer I brew.

This is where I'm at as well. I think I've subconsciously gravitated toward a few styles that are difficult or impossible to find commercially (in my area, at least).

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 08:20:29 am »
I can imagine a brewer who might be content with dialing in a handful or less of favorite beers then limiting their output to those few satisfying beers - - but I've never met that brewer in 12 years of brewing. Myself, I don't think I've every brewed the same beer twice. I've done re-brews of many that were tweaks seeking to improve and come closer to my imagined ideal. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make a decent version of a diverse number of styles. The shortcoming of this approach is that while I make many beers I'm very satisfied with I also may make some good but not great beers because I'm always changing things up - and I'm okay with that. I have not met a beer style I dislike and I'm all about the variety.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:14:57 am by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 08:39:23 am »
I have maybe 4 orm5 recipes that I brew repeatedly.  I've been brewing and e4inking beer long enpugh to have developed preferences based on my tastes and I seldom stray from those.  Yers go, I brewed a wide variety of styles and crazy experiments, but those days are gone.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 08:46:31 am »
Of late the most often brewed are German Pils and a 6.2% IPA using Michigan Chinook.

I've got a tried and true Barleywine recipe, CAP, and a thing that is an homage to Balantine IPA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!